Is initial seeding implemented ?

fogbav

I distrubted about 70 GB to 7 hosts arround the world. To finish this 70 GB i uploaded nearly 200 GB.

Is initial seeding implemented ? It seems that me as "source" is sending allready uploaded chunks to the swarm - blocks which are available from the other nodes. So it would be great to upload only new or rare chunks/blocks to the swarm until everything is uploaded and the clients are "synced" ore satisfied ...

Initial Seeding (Super Seeding) A method of seeding that attempts to decrease the bandwidth load for the initial seeder. With normal seeding methods, the initial seeder typically has to upload 150% to 200%, or even more, of the original data in before a full copy of the data has been distributed into the swarm. With initial seeding, the initial seed attempts to get the rarest pieces out instead of uploading identical pieces repeatedly, often lowering the initial upload requirement to 105%. Initial seeding does not necessarily improve upload speeds or decrease seeding time. It should be used only if you are the sole seeder on the swarm, and if there are at least 2 peers connected. Generally, initial seeding should not be used by people with high upload speeds.

... slightly different configuration than normal... <_< That doesn't mean "turned off" does it? :D

Performance wise it is very close to "turned off" if you compare it to BitTorrent super-seed mode. You do want to have a supernode for a fast file distribution inside the LAN, where all nodes have the same connection speed. When you will have nodes with different speeds the fastest distribution strategy is different.

We will continue improvement in this area, but most likely it will become a part of configuration. This way you could adjust the strategy for your needs.

• 2 months later...

Performance wise it is very close to "turned off" if you compare it to BitTorrent super-seed mode. You do want to have a supernode for a fast file distribution inside the LAN, where all nodes have the same connection speed. When you will have nodes with different speeds the fastest distribution strategy is different.

We will continue improvement in this area, but most likely it will become a part of configuration. This way you could adjust the strategy for your needs.

Say I have 5 nodes spanning across the internet over cable isp ( 50Mb down / 10Mb up), How would I optimize for fastest sync and less upload? I feel like this issue becomes relevant due to certain ISPs capping transfers. Is this at least on the roadmap?