Crash on syncing to multiple computers with unkillable process (Linux)

qrbs

Sync has been working great for me for a few days; however, today I've added a third computer to the syncing network, and my Debian Linux system is having issues. It seems to sync fine for a while and then crash after giving an I/O error. After that, I can't access the web GUI, and when I attempt to kill the process, I can't:

$ killall btsync
$ ./btsync
Can't lock pid file. It seems BitTorrent Sync is already running with pid 4729
$ pidof btsync
$ kill 4729
$ ./btsync
$ kill -9 4729
$ sudo kill -9 4729
$ pidof btsync
$ ./btsync

That process stays stuck there even after rebooting the computer. The only solution seems to be deleting btsync and .sync and rebooting, then unpacking the tarball again and running btsync. It works for a while, then the same thing happens. How can a process stay stuck like that even after rebooting? Anything I'm doing wrong?

Here's the I/O error, by the way:

[20130430 20:58:25] IO Error:2 line:390 align:-99 pos:-99 count:131072 actual:0

It pings and gets peers for a few lines after that, then crashes and ends on this line:

20130430 20:58:28] Torrent XXXXX.XXX status: 137 error: <NULL> meta: 1

Oh, "IO Error", that explains the hung process ... tell me how good are your backups?

BTSync will have no access to do anything that may result in a hung process if you're not running as root.

BTSync has no need to do anything that may result in a hung process.

Your problem isn't anything to do with BTSync.

If you check your /var/log/kern.log file you will probably find hard disk errors.

With luck you'll be able to transfer most of your system to a new disk before it dies for good, but you've already lost at least one file; if it's not on a backup.

Best of luck.

We do need logs. Could you please follow these steps http://forum.bittorr...-syncapp-issue/

I just reproduced the issue and emailed you sync.log.

If you check your /var/log/kern.log file you will probably find hard disk errors.

With luck you'll be able to transfer most of your system to a new disk before it dies for good, but you've already lost at least one file; if it's not on a backup.

The computer is old, I'm just using it as a relay and server to maintain more remote copies of my existing backups. I've got a spare HD I could throw in it if it comes to that. I didn't see any I/O errors in kern.log, though.

Just confirmed that it works great until it begins to sync with a second computer (in this case, my remote server). As soon as it makes the connection with the server in addition to my own computer, the crash occurs a couple of seconds later. The log file always ends with that 137 error and nothing I do can end that process.

I don't see how a user process can even get into a state where it's unkillable, run by root, okay, but even then not for BTSync it doesn't need to do anything that dangerous.

Can you do something like this on the 'hung' process so we can, maybe, see what sort of hang it is ...

ps u wwp 4729 ; ps l wwp 4729 ; ps s wwp 4729 ; ps j wwp 4729 

What I'm trying to do is sync a file from my external HD to my second computer's external HD and to a remote server. I reinstalled my second computer's OS (Debian) from scratch and copied the file to its external HD via USB (as opposed to letting Sync do it, which is what I was trying before). It appears to be syncing with both my computer and the remote server without problems so far now. I'll post process details if I have this problem again—maybe something was just broken on my system before.

I have experienced crashes on two of my computers.

Here is the log from my laptop. 130 folders with 4Tb of data syncing.

I increasingly add folders to make it smoother - did not work.

iMac 2010 with 16 Gb of RAM shall be sufficient to run my syncs.

Problem was solved by removing BitTorrent Sync files from the library or complete removal and reinstalling of the app.

Please give me a clue where is a trouble.

Thanks

P.S. Log is in the folder BItTorrent Logs with a key: one-time read only: P7IE4ZBLIIIXZQLX, or read-only: RBSKJ4HRGWSAKSA3GFRNHLUDQOM7VGN4W.