Keeps sending data forever

Hello!

I've run into a weird problem where it seems that BT Sync keeps sending data forever, but the data is not actually used for anything.

post-25538-0-59078500-1370068593_thumb.p

It'll keep receiving like this forever. Usually it eats 1-3mb/s of my bandwidth, it's unusually slow now for some reason. Note that the counter down to the right says that nothing is being transmitted.

If I look at the shared folder, it is stuck at having 169.6 mb to go, forever.

post-25538-0-55136800-1370068600_thumb.p

So, what's happening here?

Indeed, 134 it is!

The log does report errors, in particular:

The directory name is invalid.

I think maybe the directory name contains a character that is valid on OS X, but invalid on Windows. The share is read-only, originates on OS X, and is copied to Windows. I suppose the continuous download could be BT Sync retrying the download, forever.

I've emailed the error log.

What characters were in the file name. I have seen the same issue between Linux and Windows. I have seen that a portion of my music library (~150GB, 25,000+ files) that have certain characters will get stuck and transfer forever. Files or directories with any of the follow may get stuck: One or more "?", or two sets of "()" or two sets of "...", some examples:

Megadeth - Peace sells... but whose buying? - Peace Sell... but whose buying?.mp3

Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits (Bootlegged) - Like A Rolling Stone (live).mp3

Question marks are not valid in Windows, which is really unfortunate. I can't comment on why the "..." and "()" cause a problem... only when used twice in the same file or dir name, though...

One thing is for sure, Sync needs to handle the error better. It should skip the files, and log the issue, and move on, and let you know later what it didn't sync and why. Instead it appears to waste bandwidth by continually trying to transfer the files. That is very bad behavior.

I really wish there was formal bug reporting tool for Sync. I'd love to know what issues that have been reported are currently being worked on and which are red herrings or related to other known problems!

One thing is for sure, Sync needs to handle the error better. It should skip the files, and log the issue, and move on, and let you know later what it didn't sync and why. Instead it appears to waste bandwidth by continually trying to transfer the files. That is very bad behavior.

I think maybe it was question marks, or perhaps quotes. Anyway, I'm sure it'll be worked out. Since files can be identified via hash, it should be very possible to have the same file have slightly different names on different computers, and still be identified as the same file.

Don't worry though, the bug has been reported and I've received a confirmation that it's lodged in their Zendesk instance.

Thanks xminer for the info. I'm having the same problem with my music library, which has 11GB that are not syncronizing, because I'm from Argentina and we use characters like á, ü or Á.

I'm looking forward for a fix to this bug, because about 8% of my folder is being unable to sync.

And please, post this kind of info somewhere. I've been looking for an answer to this bug for days. There could be a 'known bugs' sticky in the forum, at least.

Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry, I updated to version 1.1.12 and everything works fine now. I was using 1.0.x before.

Thank you for this great technology!