Help: update from Windows SyncApp 1.0.95 to BTSync 1.0.134

postme

Hi there,

I want to update form the early Windows SyncApp 1.0.95 to the recent BTSync 1.0.134

How can i re-use the settings of the synced directories from SyncApp, so that i don't have to renew the secret codes and other settings.

Looking forward to any reply

Postme

I think you can only do this if updating from 1.0.99 (or later) to 1.0.134, due to fundamental changes that were made to SyncApp between .95 and .99... but I may be wrong!?

Anyhow, you can try following:

1) Stop SyncApp 1.0.95

2) Install BitTorrent Sync 1.0.134

3) With BitTorrent Sync not running, copy the contents of "%AppData%\Roaming\SyncApp" to "%AppData%\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync"

4) Start BitTorrent Sync

...if all goes well, all your previously syncing folders should then be present in BitTorrent Sync... but again, I stress, that this only works with the later builds of SyncApp (before its name changed to BitTorrent Sync) - the above may not work for as old a version as 1.0.95

...oh, and then:

5) Remember to uninstall SyncApp!

Hi GM,

Thanks for the quick response.

I will try your suggestions.

Postme

Edit: The tutorial worked like a charm, thanks again GM.

But i have an other question, i've noticed a folder named 'metacache' wich becam very large over the past time and is filled a lot of sub dir's containing some strange code.

Is this something from the old Syncapp and can it be deleted?

But i have an other question, i've noticed a folder named 'metacache' wich becam very large over the past time and is filled a lot of sub dir's containing some strange code.

Is this something from the old Syncapp and can it be deleted?

Yes, once you've uninstalled SyncApp, you can safely remove the obsolete contents of %AppData%\Roaming\SyncApp

There will still be a "metacache" folder in your "%AppData%\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync" folder - this is currently required for BitTorrent Sync and shouldn't be deleted. The developers are aware of the issues with the vast number of files created within this "metacache" folder, and the impact this has on overall performance - we should see some improvements in this regard in future updates!