About .SyncIgnore's behavior

I've read .SyncIgnore with my friends but can't quite understand the meaning, excuse me for my poor English.

[A] .SyncIgnore ... will not work with the files that have already been synced.

If you add indexed files to .SyncIgnore, they will be deleted on other syncing devices.

[A] and seems inconsistent ?

And what shall I do to achieve this goal:

Ignore some .ini and .log file from both ComputerA and ComputerB, keep them changing in local, don't delete any of them?

Edited by victorwoo

If you add indexed files to .SyncIgnore, they will be deleted on other syncing devices.

...this is why when modifying .SyncIgnore files, you need to manually modify them on every device that's syncing so that the .SyncIgnore files are identical across your devices. If you only ignore files on one device, but not on other devices that are syncing, you risk files being deleted.

...and as Lightning says, the various issues/limitations with .SyncIgnore have been discussed in numerous other threads as well

I have also found the current .SyncIgnore behavior unhelpful for managing public collections that are read/write. Someone keeps adding huge rmvb videos to a collection of ebooks. I wouldn't really care if I could configure .SyncIgnore to not sync these files to me.

If this has been discussed so many times, perhaps it should be clarified in the unofficial FAQ?

I have also found the current .SyncIgnore behavior unhelpful for managing public collections that are read/write. Someone keeps adding huge rmvb videos to a collection of ebooks. I wouldn't really care if I could configure .SyncIgnore to not sync these files to me.

If this has been discussed so many times, perhaps it should be clarified in the unofficial FAQ?

Unfortunately, this must be done on your friends side in order not to sync to other systems.