btsync on arm - fail to sync to arm based computer

grahams

Wondering if anyone knows a workaround to get btsync working on arm or know if a fix is coming.

I'm trying btsync 1.0.132 between an ubuntu 13.04 PC running 3.8.0-21 and a

Dreamplug (ARMv5tel) running debian 3.7.4 #1. The 2 machines are are the

same 100bt LAN.

In some basic testing I've found the syncing from my Dreamplug to the PC

seems stable. However syncing to the Dreamplug is very unstable.

The sync to the Dreamplug starts and the transfer rate looks good @ ~5MB/s

but for <60 secs and then the transfer rate (as seen by web ui) slowly

drops to 0. On the Dreamplug I see the process died.

Reported as https://syncapp.zend...com/tickets/691

• 2 weeks later...

I am running BitTorrent Sync 1.1.15 very successfully on a Raspberry Pi, which uses an ARM processor, hence I'm using the ARM build. I was also using version 1.0.134 successfully on the same ARM-based Pi. I get nearly 100 Mbps transfer on my local network (which is the maximum speed of my Pi's connection). This is a shade faster than 10 megabytes per second.

So yes, it works just fine on an ARM machine if your network and your machines are properly configured as per the FAQs.

Hi Rusl

Thanks for letting me know this actually works.

Having zero success on the dreamplug, on 1.1.15 as soon as I add a folder to sync btsync dies. This is before I add anything to sync to on the x86 PC.

Can I ask what kernel version and distro you have on your Pi?

I have a Qnap ARM (Marvel chip) running debian and a raspi (Arch-Linux). I was able to run all Versions prior to 1.1.* on the Qnap but no syncing at all was possible towards the qnap. The 1.1.* Versions are segfaulting on the Qnap. Now I Mount my Qnap via NFS on my Raspi and run the btsync there. Awkward but at least it works

Grahams,

I am using Raspian operating system on my Raspberry Pi. It is ARM-specific and based closely on Debian. My kernel version (from uname) is 3.6.11+. I believe this is the most recent version of Raspbian, which is probably the most widely used OS on Raspberry Pi.

I have found it handy to set up my operating system to automatically power-on after power loss, auto-login to my account, and auto-start BTSync upon login. This configuration has made my Raspberry Pi a very sturdy server even when I unplug it by accident - just plug it back in and within a minute or two it's back online and synching again.

Good luck with your Dreamplug.

I have a Qnap ARM (Marvel chip) running debian and a raspi (Arch-Linux). I was able to run all Versions prior to 1.1.* on the Qnap but no syncing at all was possible towards the qnap. The 1.1.* Versions are segfaulting on the Qnap. Now I Mount my Qnap via NFS on my Raspi and run the btsync there. Awkward but at least it works

Thanks wiebel

Do you know what arm version the Qnap uses? Your Pi is armv6 I believe and rusl also has that working fine. The dreamplug is armv5, so if btsync is compile for a higher version it may explain the issues.

Graham

It's also a Marvell chip as in the Dreamplug

It's Marvell 88f5182 @500MHz

cat /proc/cpuinfo

Processor : Feroceon rev 0 (v5l)

BogoMIPS : 331.77

Features : swp half thumb fastmult edsp

CPU implementer : 0x41

CPU architecture: 5TEJ

CPU variant : 0x0

CPU part : 0x926

CPU revision : 0

Hardware : QNAP TS-109/TS-209

Revision : 0000

Serial : 0000000000000000

Btw. the new version 1.1.22 runs fine again but also no syncing so we still have to wait.