Infinite syncing

crisB

I've been trying BTSync to sync a set of folders between a mac and PC. These folders already existed on both ends, with near-identical contents (a few moves and additions on one).

What I've found is that the sync never completes. Files on the mac side of the sync are shown in the 'Transfers' section of the app to be uploading to the PC, essentially forever.

I have sent logs to the support folk, but heard nothing back (that's not a complaint, btw, this is so far a free service and I know how time-consuming support can be).

I don't want to spend lots of time looking into this, as I have messed more than I'd like with Cubby, AeroFS and others and just want a working solution (sync really does seem to be a hard problem, since so few options work reliably) I'm about 80% decided to just go back to running rsync or unison regularly.

But just in case, I'd be interested to know if (1) if anyone has seen this specific problem and knows of a workaround or fix, and (2) whether my setup (pre-existing dirs/files on both ends) is supposed to be supported by BTSync (I've had a search around the FAQs etc and haven't come across anything). Would it be worth my while removing my BTSync shares, deleting all the files from (say) the PC, and then re-adding the shares again so BTSync is in charge of populating the PC end?

Thanks.

I'm using 1.1.12. This problem was also occurring with an earlier build I had installed (don't remember which), and I tried 1.1.12 to see if it would fix it.

I have the exact same problem and sent logs over also but havn't heard back yet. 1.1.12 seems to have made it better not not completly fixed it. I still have times where the files show over and over again and nothing actually seems to be happening. Not 100% urgent for me and I hope they fix it with a later release, but still very happy with everything.

I have the exact same problem and sent logs over also but havn't heard back yet. 1.1.12 seems to have made it better not not completly fixed it. I still have times where the files show over and over again and nothing actually seems to be happening. Not 100% urgent for me and I hope they fix it with a later release, but still very happy with everything.

OK, thanks. Since posting, 1.1.12 has started crashing on every launch. I've sent the crash dump to support. I was on the verge of giving up and going back to rsync, but BTSync gets so much right, I'll keep fiddling for a bit longer.

If it's the linux version, they are aware of the issue. They say there will be an update to resolve it tomorrow.

Nope, OS X. Oddly, it didn't happen initially -- ie. it ran for over a day without crashing (albeit not very usefully, because of the infinite syncing). But now it crashes every run.

OK, I now have 1.1.15 on the mac and pC ends. I removed my shares and uninstalled the older versions to start from scratch, then recreated the shares. I'm again getting infinite sync on various files. There's clearly a reproducible bug here.

1.1.15 fixed the crashing for me so far, but still have the inifite sync too.

Bittorrent support identified the problem in my case, which was the existence of some directories with names terminated by spaces. Removing the spaces did the trick for me (sync has now completed for the first time).

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue here, between Win (BTsync v1.1.27) and Ubuntu (BTsync v1.1.30). Both sides have the exact same set of files, but both sides show the must reupload the same set of files to the other side.

Illustrative screenshots, both sides (WebUI Ubuntu & Client software Win):

• 2m2gn4y.png
  • 20qkoi8.png

Nothing happens since 20 minutes ago... restarted both sides, in both orders (A/B or B/A), no change.

Can't send logs now, as it includes a lot of personal info I have to expunge.

34ynzo7.png

Issue still there with 1.1.33 under Win. I uninstalled 1.1.30 Win, removing settings, and recreated the folder share. All files are there on both sides, correctly synchronized (i.e. with the Ubuntu 1.1.30 server) but the Win client is still stuck as if there was everything to upload. Half an hour later, nothing changed.

I'm afraid I still have this problem with v33 on all Windows machines. I sent in logs but haven't heard back>

We got your logs but can not find the reason of your issue.

Could you please describe what are you doing with files? Did you change files on one of your machines?

Thanks!