How to update BTSync from 1.0.134 to 1.1.27 on Synology

I'm running BT Sync v 1.0.134 on my Synology DiskStation 412+ (DSM 4.2) and BTSync on 1.1.27 on 2 laptops.

I installed BT Sync on Synology NAS from http://packages.synocommunity.com. This source provides v.1.0.134 only.

I guess the different versions is the cause that BT Sync on Synology (1.0.134) and BT Sync (1.1.27) on the laptops fail to sync their folders.

The two laptops sync the shared folders between one another.

Any ideas?

I managed to update my DS211J to the new binary BUT my NAS still does NOT sync with my MBP. Here's how I did the update:

1. Turn on SSH on the NAS
  2. Stop BT Sync (from package installer, hit STOP icon)
  3. Copy the new binary somewhere on the NAS --> Remember the complete file path
  4. Open a terminal session and connect with SSH to the NAS as root (must be "root" user)
    Ex: ssh -l root your_nas_ip
  5. Go to: /usr/local/btsync/bin/
  6. Copy the new binary from where you put it in step 3 above.
    Ex: cp /volume1/homes/admin/btsync .
  7. Go back to package installer and re-start BT Sync

Hope this helps a bit. And if you figure out how to make the sync work betwee the NAS and your laptop, please share. :)

Cheers.

It's worth noting that kh0110's method works perfectly, but the package manager won't update the version info. On the btsync interface, however, it will display the current version.

Anyone know what happened to SynoCommunity? I was really excited by the early appearance of btsync over there, but it hasn't been updated since.

Simpler method for updating your Synology (works with my DS412+). Login via SSH (as 'root' not 'admin'; the password is the same as your 'admin' user) and issue these commands:

killall btsync
curl http://btsync.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/btsync_glibc23_x64.tar.gz | \
tar xzf - -C /usr/local/btsync/bin/ btsync
/usr/local/btsync/bin/btsync --config /usr/local/btsync/var/sync.conf

Done.

I managed to update my DS211J to the new binary BUT my NAS still does NOT sync with my MBP. Here's how I did the update:

1. Turn on SSH on the NAS
  2. Stop BT Sync (from package installer, hit STOP icon)
  3. Copy the new binary somewhere on the NAS --> Remember the complete file path
  4. Open a terminal session and connect with SSH to the NAS as root (must be "root" user)
    Ex: ssh -l root your_nas_ip
  5. Go to: /usr/local/btsync/bin/
  6. Copy the new binary from where you put it in step 3 above.
    Ex: cp /volume1/homes/admin/btsync .
  7. Go back to package installer and re-start BT Sync

Hope this helps a bit. And if you figure out how to make the sync work betwee the NAS and your laptop, please share. :)

Cheers.

I have the same problem and I tried to copy the new binary to the /usr/local/btsync/bin/ path. But it doesn't help. I'm a linux newby, and it is very possible, that I had made a mistake. Please help me at the following steps:

Step 5: "Go to: /usr/local/btsync/bin/" I did it with the copy order: cd /usr/local/btsync/bin/ and it does what it should.

Step 6: "Copy the new binary from where you put it in step 3 above. Ex: cp /volume1/homes/admin/btsync " What must I do, when the path of the BTSync.exe is: /volume1/Privat/ ? Simply "cp /volume1/privat/btsync" ? Or is this wrong?

Inzwischen habe ich nochmal nachgeforscht, PuTTy zeigt mir an, dass die Datei BTSync.exe im Verzeichnis /usr/local/btsync/bin/ enthalten ist. Warum aber läuft im Paketzentrum nachwievor die alte Version? Wie kann ich die neuere Version dort installieren?

Nach vielem Rumprobieren habe ich es nun scheinbar doch hingekriegt (frag mich ja keiner, wie ich das gemacht habe ;) !). Das verwirrende ist, dass im Paketzentrum die Bittorent Sync Version 1.0.134-2 angegeben wird - also die alte Version - und wenn ich die Verknüpfung von Bittorent Sync anklicke und somit das Sync Tool auf dem NAS öffne, dass dort die aktuelle Version 1.1.42 angegeben wird, also hat die Installation doch geklappt!

I have the same problem and I tried to copy the new binary to the /usr/local/btsync/bin/ path. But it doesn't help. I'm a linux newby, and it is very possible, that I had made a mistake. Please help me at the following steps:

Step 5: "Go to: /usr/local/btsync/bin/" I did it with the copy order: cd /usr/local/btsync/bin/ and it does what it should.

Step 6: "Copy the new binary from where you put it in step 3 above. Ex: cp /volume1/homes/admin/btsync " What must I do, when the path of the BTSync.exe is: /volume1/Privat/ ? Simply "cp /volume1/privat/btsync" ? Or is this wrong?

Is it possibly a permissions issue? My btsync executable's permissions are 755. You can cd to that directory and do:

# chmod 755 btsync

Also, perhaps make sure the owner and group of the executable are correct. For example, my exectuable's owner/group are "bittorrentsync/users." To achieve that, I could do:

# chown bittorrentsync:users btsync

Just wanted to post, if you get

"/usr/local/btsync/bin/btsync: line 1: syntax error: unexpected "("

after following fukawi2's instructions, it means you're not using the correct build for your device.

Change the download link (http:// etc) to the ARM version, which is http://btsync.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/btsync_arm.tar.gz

That will probably do it (worked for me and my DS2112j).

Cheers

All,

I can confirm that fukawi2's instructions worked perfectly.

Here was my situation. Issue: Bit Torrent Sync not working on Synology DS213J and Mac's.

1. Both my personal mac's were sync'ing files working on v1.1.48.

2. Synology Bit Torrent Sync version by Synocommunity 1.0.34-2 setup did not work, the files never got transferred

3. Followed fukawi2's instructions and stopped Btsync from Package center.

4. Ran the curl command from the instructions above but the location as http://btsync.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/btsync_arm.tar.gz

5. Ran the tar command and everything is fine.

6. Package center gets updated with the btsync version as well.

Hope it helps someone who spent a couple of hrs fixing this!!

OK, let me preface by saying I'm a newby when it comes to linux but I couldn't get the instructions in the previous posts to work so I figured I'd try a different way... and it worked.

Asumption:

You have installed the BTSync package via the SynoCommunity.

You have enabled SSH access and a SSH program

Instructions for updating to version x.x.x (windows based instructions):

1. Download the latest version for your system, for me it was "btsync_arm-1.1.48.tar.gz" (I have a 212j)

2. Use 7zip to unpack the .gz and then use it again to unpack the .tar

3. Take the resulting btsync file and copy it to a directory on your DiskStation

4. Go into the Package Center and stop the BitTorrent Sync package

5. Use SSH client to log in as root using your admin password

6. use the cp (copy) command to copy the new btsync file to the appropriate directory (it will overwrite)

6.1. this is what I used: cp /volume1/homes/btsync /usr/local/btsync/bin/ (change the "homes" directory to the save location you used)

6.2. you can use the cd (change directory) and dir (list directory contents) commands to check that you have the appropriate folder paths

7. check your work by typing cd /usr/local/btsync/bin/ and then type dir and hit enter (the btsync file should show an updated file date

8. Restart your DiskStation

9. Restart the BitTorrent Sync package

10. Done.

My BitTorrent sync immediately started syncing all of the files that were waiting and it now shows the appropriate version number. Please let me know if you have any questions.

I managed to get it working as per above instructions however I turned BTSync off in the Package Manage before copying the binary file into place. Restarted in Package Manager and works.

Also to change the password you can go

vi /usr/local/btsync/var/sync.conf

Plus syno package finally got updated. So I decided to press the button in package manager and see what happens. So far seems to work fine; so above manual update is *safe*.