PIECE 0 FAILED HASH CHECK

19feet

At first I'd like to thank for this marvelous tool and all the work you are doing for it.

This tool works fine on several Linux PCs (Ubuntu 12.04 32bit, 64bit, 13.04 64bit etc.).

Sometimes the sync stops without finishing it. The sync.log file shows:

[20130611 12:23:54.317] Extension: ipv4:[88.73.213.XYZ] for '~$H113252013002510.docx'
[20130611 12:23:54.319] 192.168.ABC.EFG:62979: did not pick any blocks. blocking peer temporarily
[20130611 12:23:54.427] Extension: ipv4:[88.73.213.XYZ] for '~$file name ABC.dot'
[20130611 12:23:54.427] *** ~$H113252013002510.docx: PIECE 0 FAILED HASH CHECK
[20130611 12:23:54.554] *** ~$file name ABC.dot: PIECE 0 FAILED HASH CHECK
[20130611 12:23:54.579] *** long file name from thunderbird.eml: PIECE 0 FAILED HASH CHECK

Is there any reason, why btsync cannot sync some files?

Thanks in advance

Looks like the files in question are temporary Office files i.e. opening the file "H113252013002510.docx" in Word is creating an additional "~$H113252013002510.docx" file in the same folder (which will be removed once you close the main file in Word). This is normal behavior for Office, but you should consider excluding these temporary files from Sync by adding "~$" to your .SyncIgnore files

Looks like the files in question are temporary Office files i.e. opening the file "H113252013002510.docx" in Word is creating an additional "~$H113252013002510.docx" file in the same folder (which will be removed once you close the main file in Word). This is normal behavior for Office, but you should consider excluding these temporary files from Sync by adding "~$" to your .SyncIgnore files

This might be an explaination for the "~$..." files. But it is no explanation for the .eml (Thundbird email) file. The Btsync GUI always shows that there are 10.0 kB left to sync. It seems that this error concerns only one file but there are many temporary Office files.

This might be an explaination for the "~$..." files. But it is no explanation for the .eml (Thundbird email) file.

Well, according to your log, this issue with your thunderbird.eml file looks like it could be related to the length of file name (or more specifically, the total combination of the length of its absolute path + filename)? Is the "thunderbird.eml" file nested really deep?

Well, according to your log, this issue with your thunderbird.eml file looks like it could be related to the length of file name (or more specifically, the total combination of the length of its absolute path + filename)? Is the "thunderbird.eml" file nested really deep?

The lenght of first folder is 12 characters and the lenght of subfolder 10 characters. The name of the thunderbirdfile is indeed quite long because Thunderbird uses the subject heading for file name.

But within the same subfolder are three more thunderbird files with the same name + number 1 to 3 at the end. There are no problems with these files.

It's a known issue. The file content has been changed while its modification time wasn't, but sync uses modification time to decide whether rehash the file or not. This way sync stores an outdated file hash. As a workaround you may manually "touch" the file on the source pc to update its mtime and tell sync to rehash the file.

At last I found the concerned file and removed it. Now the problem is solved. It wasn't easy because there are more than 100k+ files in thausends of folders and the file was a duplicate within another folder.

Is it possible to show the concerned files in GUI in such a case with the right path?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm running into this same Office $~ issue. Hash check failed etc.

How does one block these files from syncing?

I've tried adding

~$

~$*

~*

to .SyncIgnore and nothing seems to do anything.

On a somewhat related note... will it ever be possible to sync .SyncIgnore files? I ask because asking my users to open hidden files and correctly add these lines is not gonna work out well.

Thanks!