Waaaaaay to much multicast traffic

You can always turn off the "Search LAN" setting (a per folder setting) to reduce significantly the amount of multicast traffic on your local network! With this setting disabled, if your local devices can't then find each other, but they all have static IPs, you could use the "pre-defined hosts" options to identify them to Sync

You can always turn off the "Search LAN" setting (a per folder setting) to reduce significantly the amount of multicast traffic on your local network! With this setting disabled, if your local devices can't then find each other, but they all have static IPs, you could use the "pre-defined hosts" options to identify them to Sync

Well but thats only a crappi workaround ... not a fix.

The Problem is that the multicast-packets not sent once in a minute or something but more than once a second. Thats pretty much traffic without any reason, because if another computer added to the network the lan-peer-find would start from the other end.

• 6 months later...

I fired up tcpdump on my LAN today to troubleshoot another network problem ran into this issue.

The frequency of multicast udp port 3838 packets generated by BitTorrent sync clients IS INSANE. Once a minute would be more reasonable, this eight broadcast packets per second nonsense fills my captures with junk and is highly annoying.

I'd like the BitTorrent developers to share the thought process behind this decision with the end users. Help us understand.

Just a question: Is it 8 packets per second per share or is it independant from the number of shares?

I would suggest that the number of multicast packets being sent is directly related to the number of folders you've added to sync, given than the "Search LAN" setting (which is what produces these multicast packets), is a per folder setting. i.e. if you're syncing 8 folders, you'll see x8 more multicast packets than if you'd just added a single folder to sync.

I agree this could certainly be better optimized than at present, but until then, if the amount of multicast traffic is causing you network issues, see my workaround earlier in this thread.

By folders do you mean shares? It is confusing when we don't use the same terminology.

I mean "folder" as in a folder you add to sync, which is then listed in the "Folders" tab of the UI. I would refer to the folders within each folder you add to Sync as "sub folders" :P

Share: A sync folder

...or "share" meaning a device/node running Sync! :P

I think my reply was pretty clear, but to clarify:

If 8 folders are shown in your Sync UI (i.e. you've added 8 folders directly to your Sync, each with their own Secret), and you have "Search LAN" enabled for each of these 8 folders, I suspect you'll see x8 more multicast packets on your network (regardless of the number of sub-folders) than if there is only 1 folder shown in your Sync UI.

• 1 year later...