Sign in to follow this  
st-mich

Syncing questions

Hi,

I'm now using your product a lot and I really feel this is very useful. I will post later on what I think is missing, but I'm still for the moment figuring out all the various things I can do. And my main question right now is in the case of :

- Having a source PC (where is the main content)

- Having a mobile (in this use case only accessible remotely to the content)

- Having another PC (on which I also want to remotely access the content, not to sync it)

It's actually possible on the phone, to get a read only folder and not to sync it, which end up to have the whole folder structure but not the files, which are accessible in view, but not on the phone and if needed you can download one. This is very powerfull, because it's a remote access to all of your data without syncing them : the day you need you download !

Question 1 : If I download one file in that case and if I modify it, as it's read only, the changes won't be reflected correct ?

Question 2 : how can I do the same use case with the second PC ? How can I see the folder structure and the remote content without copying it totally ?

Question 3 : it looks that it's not possible (I think I do understand why) to have a sync folder inside of another one. I guess this require to segment totally the folder structure by use case then, which is a tricky part to explain.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards.

Julien

today i learned you need to search for "nested" sync folders to find some discussions about 3.

tl;dr: not possible with btsync right now, but support probably gets added at some time or another.

under windows moving the nested folder somewhere else and creating a link inside the old folder should work fine, as long as you don't need paths like \parentDirectory\link\someSubdirectory to work. othwise you could create symlinks, but i do not know how btsync handles these.

Is a read only child client involved in the syncing process of other child clients...meaning: if I have a "server" machine that many read only machines are synced with, do the read only machines aide in the sync to help reduce load on the server?

If so, how is this affected by issues described else where, for example, if one of the read only clients edits the document?

Is a read only child client involved in the syncing process of other child clients...meaning: if I have a "server" machine that many read only machines are synced with, do the read only machines aide in the sync to help reduce load on the server?

If so, how is this affected by issues described else where, for example, if one of the read only clients edits the document?

Same question. To me it's not perfectly clear: after experimenting, it seems in a "one master (r/w) - many clients (r-o)" scenario the clients do not exchange data between them.

Example:

I add one "NEW" file to the "master". It starts getting distributed to a few online "clients", who eventually get the whole file.

Now I take the "master" offline, for a few days.

Now a few "clients" come and are added to the swarm. They won't get the "NEW" file from existing "clients", not until I switch the "master" back online.

Either there's something fishy in that definition of a swarm, or there's a bug which prevents r-o clients to contribute data between them...

(tested Ubuntu x64 1.1.70)