.SyncIgnore not working

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but it seems .SyncIgnore is being ignored by my client.

I created a subdirectory called TEST in a folder that I'm currently syncing between multiple computers.

I created a file called .SyncIgnore in that subdirectory and wrote just one line of text, which read:

test.txt

I then created a file called "test.txt" in my TEST folder. So here's what my directory looks like:

• .SyncIgnore (with one line reading test.txt)
  • test.txt

Test.txt synced with my other machines.

I also tried numerous variations on this theme (placing .SyncIgnore in the root of my sync folder and trying to ignore TEST/test.txt, etc.), as well as every wildcard combination I could think of.

I'm running BTSync v 1.1.42 on all my machines.

What am I doing wrong?

.SyncIgnore files are created automatically by Sync, and are only present in the root folders you're syncing. The rules within these root .SyncIgnore files apply to the files & sub-directories within the folder tree.

Creating additional .SyncIgnore files in sub-directories of folder you're syncing will have no affect - you need to add all your exclusion rules to the .SyncIgnore file in the root folder you're syncing.

There are a wealth of existing topics on how to do this in the forum (just search for "syncignore"), for example this one

.SyncIgnore files are created automatically by Sync, and are only present in the root folders you're syncing. The rules within these root .SyncIgnore files apply to the files & sub-directories within the folder tree.

Creating additional .SyncIgnore files in sub-directories of folder you're syncing will have no affect - you need to add all your exclusion rules to the .SyncIgnore file in the root folder you're syncing.

There are a wealth of existing topics on how to do this in the forum (just search for "syncignore"), for example this one

Thank you so much for your help. Do you know the proper syntax for ignoring .git repositories that appear in subdirectories of my root sync folder? .git repositories are subdirectories themselves.

So their structure is:

root/subdirectory/.git/*

I've tried (all in the .SyncIgnore in the ROOT directory auto-generated by BTSync):

• .git
  • .git/
  • .git/*
  • *.git
  • *.git/
  • *.git/*
  • subdir/.git
  • subdir/.git/*
  • /subdir/.git
  • /subdir/.git/*
  • */.git
  • */.git/*