.!sync issues

Jbudone

I know I know! People have complained about this before, but in my case this isn't something I can simply brush off. I'm using btsync to keep my music folders completely in sync between my computers. Pretty cool right? The problem is that my files are being renamed to %.!sync and are no longer recognized by my music player. I've wrote up a little bash script to fix this, but it would be much more desirable to avoid the file renaming altogether. Is this something that could be fixed in the future?

find -L . -type f -name '*.!sync' -print0 | while IFS= read -r -d '' file; do eval $(echo mv "$(printf '%q' "$file")" "$(printf '%q' "$file" | sed -e 's/\.\\\!sync//g')"); done

the above works in bash. Not sh or fish

.!Sync files are temporary files created by BitTorrent Sync when receiving incoming data transfers. Once a file is fully received, it is then renamed to have its .!Sync extension removed i.e. "file.mp3" will become "file.mp3.!Sync" on receiving devices until all data for the file is fully received, at which point it will be renamed back to "file.mp3".

If your files are remaining with a .!Sync extension, this indicates that the transfer was not successfully complete. This may be due to a number of reasons, which you should investigate rather than renaming these .!Sync files yourself.

Possible causes for the persistence of .!Sync files include:

1) The network connection was interrupted/dropped whilst transferring the file

2) The contents of the source file changed during the transfer process

3) The source file became locked by another process during the transfer

Removing the .!Sync extension yourself may allow you to access the partial file that's been received, however, if Sync has got stuck (due to one or more of the above reasons), the better option would be to delete these partial .!Sync files in order that Sync can re-transfer the file again.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply GreatMarko :) I completely forgot about this thread and should have checked back sooner. The problem actually occurs for files which are already on the machine. In my case both machines already had an initial snapshot of all of my songs (carried over from usb with the same folder structure and filenames). But when I turned on bitsync those songs which were already in place were suddenly renamed with the .!sync extension (not all of them, just some), unnecessarily and never renamed back