Btsync & Samba -

19feet

I use two linux servers in two different networks (192.168.ABC.X and 192.168.DEF.X) who are connected to each other via VPN.

On both servers are the same folders /srv/sharedfolder. The data of this folders are synced with btsync. Both servers offers an access to the stored files for Windows clients without passwords etc. with Samba. The samba configuration is:

[sharedfolder]
path = /srv/sharedfolder
public = yes
writeable = yes
printable = no
guest ok = yes
create mask = 777
directory mask = 777

After syncing the data with btsync from one server to the other a windows client in the other network can open the synced file but not overwrite it. To do that I have to set the ownership of the files on the server in the other network from 770 to 777 manually after syncing.

Is there a way to configure btsync or samba to keep the rights of the files?

• 3 months later...

im haveing a similar issue as im ruung the server version on my local server and it runs as root and all folders are not being set with with full perms plus they are not being made visable to my other systems till i have manually changed the user, group, and perms. once i do that they become visavle on my local network and i can access them with no issues.