WebUI not accessible from the Internet

Hi there. I have btsync running on my home server and some of my computers all running Linux. On my home server, config file has a value of 0.0.0.0:8887 assigned to the listen variable, so I can access the WebUI on port 8887. However, that only happens on my LAN or through my VPN. I punched a hole on my firewall to access it from the outside as well, but I always get a connection refused error. The punch is active, but there's no access to the WebUI from the internet. Any ideas on why this may be happening?

Thanks in advance,

Ignacio

On my home server, config file has a value of 0.0.0.0:8887 assigned to the listen variable, so I can access the WebUI on port 8887. However, that only happens on my LAN or through my VPN. I punched a hole on my firewall to access it from the outside as well, but I always get a connection refused error. ... Any ideas on why this may be happening?

You will likely need to change "0.0.0.0" in your config file to reflect your external IP address. For more information on what 0.0.0.0 is see this article

ignasigarcia,

Some likely possibilities,

1. You've not correctly configured the port forwarding on your NAT box, it needs to redirect external TCP port 8887 to port 8887 on your internal machine. ("DMZ mode" can be used for testing, but that mode also disables all the firewall like properties of your NAT router)
  2. You have a share currently defined in the config file; for some reason BTSync doesn't start the webui if there are any shares defined directly in the config file.
  3. There is another firewall messing with you, for example, "windows firewall" will treat connections from the local network differently to those from other networks.

The 0.0.0.0 is the correct IP address to bind the webui to in most cases. Generally, you only change it if you want to restrict where the webui is accessible from. The 0.0.0.0 address means no restrictions and BTSync will accept a connection from anywhere.

PS: Some NAT boxes require a reboot even more often than Windows !!