BitTorrent Sync and disk spin-down

greentown

Hi,

I have a problem with btsync triggering my external usb disk to spin up when there is no transfers going on.

I'm using BitTorrent Sync to sync some folders that usually don't change much. I'm running it on a Raspberry pi, Windows and Android. Since the Raspberry pi doesn't consume much power, I leave it on all of the time. However, since there are some days in which the content of the folders don't change at all, I am very interested in getting the USB hard disk connected to the pi to spin-down. The spinning-down works well, I am using a tiny program called hd-idle. The problem is that btsync seems to spin-up the disks every half an hour...

This is an extract of the logs from hd-idle:

date: 2013-07-31, time: 16:30:57, disk: sda, running: 901, stopped: 900

date: 2013-07-31, time: 17:01:00, disk: sda, running: 903, stopped: 900

date: 2013-07-31, time: 17:31:07, disk: sda, running: 907, stopped: 900

date: 2013-07-31, time: 18:01:14, disk: sda, running: 907, stopped: 900

date: 2013-07-31, time: 18:31:21, disk: sda, running: 907, stopped: 900

date: 2013-07-31, time: 19:01:30, disk: sda, running: 908, stopped: 901

date: 2013-07-31, time: 19:31:36, disk: sda, running: 906, stopped: 900

As you can see, the disk is spinning ("running" in the logs) for around 900 seconds. As per the configuration, the disk is spun down after 900 seconds idle, but it only remains so for 900 seconds, when it's awaken by an application. If I stop btsync this behaviour also stops, and the disk sleeps much much longer, so I know that btsync is causing this.

I've tried changing some setting in the config file, specifically I've added the "advanced" option

"folder_rescan_interval" : 86400, but it has not changed anything.

Any ideas to keep btsync from from spinning up my disk every 30 minutes?

• 6 months later...

I'm using version version 1.1.82 with WD My Book Live and seeing the same behavior. I have folder rescan set to 86400, and i see the settings.dat being accessed every 30 min. I have set the computers that sync with the My Book Live so ssh on login/logout and start/stop the btsync service. That way the My Book Live sleeps ok.

But now I want to use My Book Live to sync with an Android Phone so that won't work anymore.

RomanZ: good to hear that! What about the problem of SyncID and sync.log eing updated almost every second when devices are connected but no data is being copied?
http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/20072-btsync-inhibits-disk-hibernation-interaction-with-syncid-file

When I have no other clients running my MyBookLive spins down and restarts every 30min but otherwise it won't spindown at all.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...