Renaming a folder

If you simply rename a folder, nothing is going to happen, except for the fact, that your BTSync-Client will not be able to sync the folder anymore - because that folder the Client is looking for does no longer exist.

On all the other peers, nothing is goint to happen, they will sync just as they did before.

To rename a folder, you can simply delete it from BTSync, rename it, and add it again with the same secret as before. Other peers won't even notice you renamed that folder.

Guest idef1x

I think Brian means to rename a folder within the sync folder, so not the sync folder itself...

Anyway I get the impression that BTsync renames the folder as well, cause when I did it once, it didn't take to much time to reflect on the other side and the folder size was big enough to notice that resending would take longer

Sorry, yes I meant renaming a directory within a BTSync controlled folder. Nomenclature can be difficult.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and have a BTSync Folder on an NTFS partition. In that folder I have a directory called Pictures with a pile of .JPG files. I created a new sub-directory inside "Pictures" moved some of the JPG files into it.

On my other BTSync device (also Windows 7 64-bit NTFS filesystem) I saw the History say that several files were added by the first device, four were processed as a rename and a bunch removed. I have 139-GB & 34,933 files in my BTSync folder. Maybe it didn't notice the rename except for the four?

Edit: I just tried again. Moved 30 files in "Pictures" into a subdirectory within pictures. BTSync recorded 30 adds and 30 removes, however the other device recorded the first 15 as "added" and last 15 were "renamed" (the events were recorded in sorted order by filename).

• 2 weeks later...

I just renamed a folder "testfolder" that sits within a shared folder. I renamed it to "testfolder_modified". It has several files inside it.

BitTorrent Sync deleted the entirety of "testfolder" and all of its contents, then transferred the entire "testfolder_modified" and all of the contents.

I would love for this behaviour to change since I have many nested folder and often rename a folder with an appended word such a "folder" to "folder_done".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

@sciurius

Sync 1.4 behaves in smarter way. Sometimes it is able to bind "removal" and "creation" event and actually move / rename files. In other cases it can't and moves files to .sync\Archive. However, if it sees that a new file created has the same hash it already has in the archive - it will simply move file from the Archive instead of copying it.

@sciurius

Sync 1.4 behaves in smarter way. Sometimes it is able to bind "removal" and "creation" event and actually move / rename files. In other cases it can't and moves files to .sync\Archive. However, if it sees that a new file created has the same hash it already has in the archive - it will simply move file from the Archive instead of copying it.

I sincerely hope so...

I renamed a share (4000 files) and from that moment btsync is consuming a lot of cpu, almost all memory, while the UI insists that the folder is empty. That has been going on for hours now.

Many other shares are suddenly 'out of sync' or 'receiving' with no progress at all.

It seems that btsync has lost its mind and is now effectively killing my NAS :( .

I threw away 1.4 and restored 1.3, including recreating/restoring of all shares. Now the NAS is behaving normally.

I have one other Linux system that it running 1.4, and it is handling just a few shares. Several of them are in "Sending 100% Remaining: just a few seconds" wait state. For days already. I've send you the log.

• 8 months later...

Hi

I am seeing this behavior too with 2.0, i have  two NAS 100% synced and when i rename a folder and rename some of the files inside, Btsync is 100% transferring all the folder and its files again. 

The folders in the destination NAS  and its files are moved into the .sync/Archive

Log File in Destination NAS only shows Incoming Connection from xxxx or similar messages (disconnect,did not pick any blocks)

Log File in Origin NAS shows

Extension: ipv4:[x.x.x.x] for '/path_to_folder/file

any help would appreciated