Cloud part for Sync

kos13

• 3 weeks later...

Am I the only one wondering why the pricing on these companies are so high? They're almost dropbox prices, and, dropbox can only get away with it because they draw you in offering 64GB+ of free storage, and, are so damn popular. These small companies should be charging a couple cent per GB per month, not eight (Like dropbox).

Hell, most of these companies only store in one location* (At-least, the two I tried with 'trials'), raid != backup. You could have a raid one array with five hundred and twelve drives, it doesn't matter, if you have a power outage, or, environmental issue (Earthquake, Tsunami, who knows what else), you're ******, and, more importantly, so are your clients.

Honestly, let's consider, assuming for each byte of data, you store it in six times (raid 161, data is stored to a raid 1 array (With two drives), that's then raid 6ed (With six groups (twelve raided 1 hard-drives total, two per group)), and is then moved cross-country to another datacenter to protect against environmental damage, running the same RAID 16 configuration), which, let's be honest, is insane, nobody stores it six times (Unless you absolutely need that data, such as Google, Dropbox, or, Crashplan, even then, I doubt it), and, you pay an insanely high fee of $200 per raw TB HDD storage (Maybe a few people do), that's $1,200 per TB it costs you (Believe me, it doesn't, probably more at the $500 or so range).

Let's also assume that the majority of drives (~ 22%, based off my somewhat guestimating math skills and this) fail within three years, so, after three years you're going to want to be be shifting off those drives, 1TB/$1,200/36 months = $33/month/TB, or, just over three cents per GB per month, that's $40 per 100GB per year, which, is still pretty high. The majority of people don't spend $1,200 per TB, don't give you raid 16 (Plus an actual copy of data between two data centers, so, logically raid 161, but, physically raid 16 with a backup), so, personally, I'd rather just go out to the store and buy a bunch of hard-drives, I'll have almost the same security (Assuming these companies are just doing raid, and, not actually moving between data centers), have faster speeds, and, no monthly fees, although, I do admit it's a huge start up fee (Want to remove that? Go with OVH, they charge like $0.01/GB/month).

Yeah, I know someone is going to come at me "OH, YOU DIDN'T CALCULATE THE COSTS OF THE BANDWIDTH, THE DATA CENTER'S RENT, X, Y, Z", which, I admit, I didn't, why? Because I've never actually leased space in a datacenter, or, a non-consumer grade network link, but, I really doubt it costs 4 cents+ per few GB (Few is equal to space given * (1 (First upload) + X (Uploads/Downloads of data per month)).

*Only one client popped up in BTSync, not sure if they mirror their data using other tools.

EDIT:- Thought I'd also add this rant is more to companies/people selling/buying large spaces (1TB+), I understand why someone might buy a 50GB or so space, it's nice to have a 24/7 online computer to help with syncing, but, I do not understand why anyone would buy this as their main backup location, which, I feel is what some people are indeed doing.

If you're not using this as your main backup, and, you're just using it as an easy method to transfer a few documents between home/school/work, but, don't want to leave computers on all day, I completely understand these prices, although, I still feel OVH is the better option here (at just over 2.5 cents per GB on their lowest option ($13.26/month, 500GB)).

EDIT2:- Since I feel like I'm going to get some **** from server providers for posting this, I do want to state I'm not naming names, and, I only tried two (Not the two in the OP, as, I'm sure you've gathered due to the fact that only one of them charges), so, this is a very generalized post. Some of them out there may be super secure with massive amounts of synchronization across data servers, the best hard-drives money can buy, super great support making the pains of newbies installing BTSync on a brand new linux server go away, and, all the rest of it. Just, for me, someone who is willing to explore, they're not for me... that being said, I may be biased when I say "They're not for anyone", except the people who just simply need a small 24/7 online server, but, even then, there are some great cheap, hosts out there with 20GB or so HDD space.

So basically, we all want an offsite-backup solution that is both cheap and reliable. So buy a Raspberry Pi, an external hard drive, download btsync, put it in your friend's house and you are good to go.

Compared to some hosted service, this is a much simpler solution and it will pay for itself in no time. Plus, you get to play with a Raspberry Pi.

If you're not using this as your main backup, and, you're just using it as an easy method to transfer a few documents between home/school/work, but, don't want to leave computers on all day, I completely understand these prices, although, I still feel OVH is the better option here (at just over 2.5 cents per GB on their lowest option ($13.26/month, 500GB)).

Why would you use BTSync for backups? They actually make backup software that has had their encryption reviewed and is supplied by trusted companies. I agree the prices is crazy for many of these services, and I do wish that I could extract the torrent files and add them to a normal seedbox (they have far better prices).

If you were to only transfer a few documents I would rather have a couple of friends seed it for me. Or leave the files on my fileserver. But in that usecase I don't see why anyone would use BTSync and not sftp or rsync. If not for the P2P part, what is the point? The lack of good version conflict resolving makes it useless for collaboration. The only usecase I can see is if you need to share a large folder with several other people.

Why would you use BTSync for backups? They actually make backup software that has had their encryption reviewed and is supplied by trusted companies. I agree the prices is crazy for many of these services, and I do wish that I could extract the torrent files and add them to a normal seedbox (they have far better prices).

If you were to only transfer a few documents I would rather have a couple of friends seed it for me. Or leave the files on my fileserver. But in that usecase I don't see why anyone would use BTSync and not sftp or rsync. If not for the P2P part, what is the point? The lack of good version conflict resolving makes it useless for collaboration. The only usecase I can see is if you need to share a large folder with several other people.

When said backup, I meant less of an actual backup (I.E. protection against user error) and more an extra node to store a redundant copy, somewhat like raid, just, in a network rather than on raw HDDs.

Hello,

There are afew  who host Bittorrent services out there:

https://incloudibly.com/en/syncservers

www.btsync.com/

and afew other.

However there are quite expensive.

I have been running BTsync on a VPS for a while and i must say its running great

I am using backupsy and they are really good.

Both sales and support (used them more then once - answered my ticket in a matter of miniutes)

As for pricing, it way cheaper. ( its can be as low as 7$ a month for 500GB depends on the Coupon used)

I would recomend running BTsync with Pydio.io( or any other webGUI ) and webmin for management.

I am running on ubuntu server 13.04.

https://backupsy.com/

Use either of this copuons

'GOTMEADEAL'

'SMOKING'

'40PERCENT'

Eldadh

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there!

Let me introduce a new site similar to Incloudibly that offers remote Bittorrent Sync container hosting: https://coinshost.com/en/syncservers

wikilogo.pngCoinsHost respects your privacy and allows anonymous sign-ups when service is to be paid with Bitcoin. Should you have any questions, please drop us a message to info@coinshost.com or ask here (if allowed).

Thanks.

Edited by CoinsHost

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why should I pay for a third party cloud add-on to Bit Sync when I can just subscribe to SugarSync and get an integrated solution? When you have computers at different physical locations and want to keep the critical data in sync on all computers, you have no choice but to use a cloud based syncing solution. Currently using Google Drive which has the advantage of being free for 15GB, but it is not the most reliable. So I'm looking for another solution.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

JGO

When you have computers at different physical locations and want to keep the critical data in sync on all computers, you have no choice but to use a cloud based syncing solution.

Not quite true!! You can use a VPN (are there are a number of "free" offerings available i.e. Hamachi, Neorouter, etc) which will allow your devices in different physical locations to appear as though they are on the same local LAN!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I considered building a simple web script that spun up "btsync nodes" or whatever... but honestly in hosting the margins can be razor thin and with BitTorrent Sync in beta (and not always stable) it just seemed like it wasn't a good time or anything.

plus to be honest all I'd pay personally is like $1-$1.50/mo for a small amount of storage of like essentials. I've got my eye out for something simple and managed but right now it seems like all there is are cheap VPSes that happen to bundle more disk space than another for the same price

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All.

I saw this on lowendbox.com:

http://vpsdime.com/

Long story short: 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD for $7 USD per month. 1TB/1.5TB/2TB is proportionally more expensive.

I've been using backupsy for a while, but the 512MB RAM is a bit of a bottleneck.

Edit:

Added more info to this post after it was moved. Apologies to the mod for the untidiness. :-)

If you are looking for a cloud presence for your BitTorrent Sync network, please take a look at this article.

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/30197-syncmade-the-cloud-add-on-for-bittorrent-sync/

Today we are proud to introduce to all the BitTorrent Sync community a new product we have just launched: Syncmade (https://syncmade.com).

Syncmade allows you to add a cloud presence to BitTorrent Sync without the hassle of purchasing a server and configuring UNIX-based BitTorrent Sync on it. Such cloud presence will allow you to keep your files online 24/7 while at the same time boost transfer rates by adding a 1Gbps peer to your BitTorrent Sync network.

Syncmade brings competitive advantages for general users by offering cloud geography, or the option to select where the files should get hosted among various companies and datacenters around the world (with adjusted pricing). Syncmade finally allows you to make sure your files stay within a certain jurisdiction or under the indirect management of a certain company.

Syncmade is also great because it allows you to store only the encrypted secrets associated with your folders (either by generating some for you or by letting you input your own). This will turn the cloud space into a ‘zero-knowledge’ capacity where only you will be able to decrypt the files.

Finally, Syncmade is beautiful and secure. It comes with latest SSL standards and perfect forward secrecacy principles in mind. It is built with state-of-the-art HTML5 techniques, making it Retina-ready and compatible with any device, desktop or mobile.

You can take a look at Syncmade @ https://syncmade.com/ and learn more about our SaaS @ https://syncmade.com/learn

We will be happy to hear any feedback you may have about our project. 

We have a long roadmap that already involves increasing presence in many more datacenters/with more companies throughout the world, increasing the size of our free package, decreasing the price of our cheapest one, fully developing the web-based file manager and launching several disruptive features we already have in mind.

If you are deciding to give us a try, open a support ticket and tell us that you are coming from this article, we will double the virtual space you have, either it is free or paid.

Best personal regards to each and everyone,
Paul HUSTIN
Founder of Syncmade
and the Syncmade team (Maxim, Agnès, Pauline, Taty, Wayne & Steve)

I built something similar to the above in my spare time.

I am offering BitTorrent Sync hosting based in Europe, everything is encrypted and we will even help you generate encrypted secrets so your content remains encrypted on the server.

At the moment all signups accounts get 5GB of free storage. I am planning to offer paid plans at a later date.

Give it a try and message me if you have any questions.

https://www.syncnode.net/

Hey guys,

I would really be interested in getting the code of a btsync webgui like the ones shown here. Are there any open source versions? Or people interested in creating/releasing their code as open source?

thanks,

jaithn

What are you looking for, management of one server of management of a fleet of servers?

If it is just one server then the built in Web GUI does a good job, for multiple it gets a little more complicated than just a GUI as the servers need to communicate with a central database.

Edited by RemixDave