Cloud part for Sync

kos13

I came across a website that looks like an official BitTorrent Sync website offering 100GB BTS cloud storage for $9.99.

Here is the link: [link removed]

However entering my contact data does not work.

Does anyone know if this site is in any way connected to the official BitTorrent organization and did anyone have success in signing up?

Thanks

Edited by GreatMarko
Link removed - site dupes users into thinking it's an official BitTorrent Inc website - it is not

No it has nothing to do with the official BitTorrent Sync.They want you to regain the control of your data. Would be the opposite of their mission to offer storage to it.

It is a webserver hosted on IIS, it gives an error in spanish or something. I guess this is someones home PC that someone wanted to make some money off...

I built something similar to the above in my spare time.

I am offering BitTorrent Sync hosting based in Europe, everything is encrypted and we will even help you generate encrypted secrets so your content remains encrypted on the server.

At the moment all signups accounts get 5GB of free storage. I am planning to offer paid plans at a later date.

Give it a try and message me if you have any questions.

https://www.syncnode.net/

Excellent performance, looking great! Will continue testing your service.

• 2 weeks later...

I am offering BitTorrent Sync hosting based in Europe, everything is encrypted and we will even help you generate encrypted secrets so your content remains encrypted on the server.

At the moment all signups accounts get 5GB of free storage. I am planning to offer paid plans at a later date.

Working fine, will let you know if I run into something.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

i m looking for a small group of guy (20/30) that want to try to make a community of unknown that share part of their computer memory to keep data of other guys. A sort of peer-to-peer small cloud storage of unknown people. 

this is more a social experiment than a technological one.

let me know if interested or for every kind of question. 

someone joined the group, we are in the "Sync Hacks" section

Mattia    :)

• 3 weeks later...

This service is easy to set up and very fast. I would definitely pay a few dollars per month for more storage (50-100GB).

Luke

• 2 weeks later...

I signed up for this and it seems easy-to-use and I'm now syncing a folder from my home computer to your cloud storage. Can't wait to pull it down on another computer to see what kind of speeds I get. My upload is capped pretty low so hard to tell from that but it is maxing it out lol

Glad you all seem to Syncnode.

I have just launched paid account upgrades, the pricing currently is :

100 GB = £9 / month

200 GB = £18 / month

300 GB = £27 / month

I realise this is a little more expensive than other services but I am offering far more redundancy and security than others.

• All accounts are currently synced to two super fast servers that will mirror each other.
  • The website generates private encryption keys, meaning we cannot see your data at all.

I will be able to drop the price in the future as the scale increases.

I'm currently in the process of adding more features to the website such as the ability to see which computers are connected to the shares.

I'm interested to hear what people think, let me know!

you do realize, that btsync encrypts the transfer but not the data on the local drive?

so just warning you: the website before, btsync.com, is no official site. no money there goes to bittorrent AND all the data you sync over them is in PLAONTEXT on their harddrive.

Please don't fall for all the trap-sites...

Just to echo spYro's point; BitTorrent Inc doesn't run any "cloud storage" servers for Sync.

None of the links to such services posted by members of the community within this topic are "official", affiliated with, vetted, endorsed or supported by BitTorrent Inc.

Members of the community use such "cloud storage services for Sync" entirely at their own risk.

Personally, my advice, if you want an "always on", "cloud" component for Sync would be to get yourself a supported NAS drive or home server - that way you're in complete control, you know exactly where your data is and who has access to it at all times (plus it'll likely work out much cheaper in the long run too!). :)

alone the fact that these "companies" try to mimic bittorrent, but are in no way related to it, would be reason enough for me to mark them as "scam"-sites. They only want your data and money.

They have FULL access to every of your files and if you share a write-access key with them, the, can delete all your data on every of your devices by one click.

I just mention it, because i think it's a big big mistake to use these offers. As Marco told you, just get a simple NAS and you have your always-on-cloud but only you keep track of them and the keys.

@spYro

so just warning you: the website before, btsync.com, is no official site. no money there goes to bittorrent AND all the data you sync over them is in PLAONTEXT on their harddrive.

Sync can operate in an Encrypted mode. In this case, there is a special Key which allows only receiving data, without any ability to decrypt it. Such data is stored on HDD encrypted and cannot be read without full-access secret. I guess that online-storage services provide storage for encrypted secrets, otherwise it is not going to be secure.

I guess that online-storage services provide storage for encrypted secrets...

I wouldn't be so sure, given that this topic was originally started over a year ago (before Sync even supported encrypted secrets!).

For example, reviewing the various "cloud storage services for Sync" that have been mentioned in this topic previously;

• "btcloudsync" states on its website: "Your data will be saved in plaintext on the server."
  • "Incloudibly" offers "AES-256 encrypted data transfer between server and devices" but says nothing about support for "encrypted secrets" - so whilst your connection to "Incloudibly" may be secure, actual physical storage of your data on their servers may not be "encrypted".
  • "btsync dot com" states "File transfers are encrypted using AES256." - again, similar to "incloudibly" in that your connection may be secure but not much else. They do state in their FAQ that "Of course it is possible to use an encrypted secret on our servers. This functionality is however still in test, so we don't use it for the moment. But as soon as it will be exhaustively tested, we will propose this service."
  • "coinshost" appear to support their own propitiatory encryption, rather than supporting encrypted secrets directly, as their website states they offer "AES-256 data traffic encryption, protection from unauthorized data modification, read-only secrets and ability to encrypt data on a remote container"
  • "bittorrentsync dot us" -  a SCAM site designed to look like an official BitTorrent Inc site - it's not!!
  • "alwaysyncd" appears defunct.

On the other hand, those that appear to be getting it right (at least based on info from their site):

• "syncmade" states on its website "As you will let us keep only the encrypted secrets, you will transparently see your files encrypted on our servers, and make sure that nobody can read them."
  • "syncnode" states on its website "With encrypted share keys we will not decrypt your data or ever have the ability to, none of our staff will ever be able to see the contents of your files."

DISCLAIMER: Neither myself or BitTorrent Inc are affiliated in any way with any of the above. I have not tried any of these services myself, nor do I recommend any - the above information is a quick summary based upon current information presented on each website only. Its accuracy hasn't been validated and cannot be guaranteed, nor is the contents of this post an endorsement of any of the aforementioned services.

My original advice still stands: if you want an "always on", "cloud" component for Sync get yourself a supported NAS drive or home server - that way you're in complete control, you know exactly where your data is and who has access to it at all times (plus it'll likely work out much cheaper in the long run too!). :)

"syncnode" states on its website "With encrypted share keys we will not decrypt your data or ever have the ability to, none of our staff will ever be able to see the contents of your files."

To confirm the above, if you create a share through Syncnode it is encrypted by default. The servers that store the data never see the encrypted key and the keys we generate are never stored. We use the official Bittorrent Sync API to generate the keys.

You can also provide us with your own read-only encrypted keys if you know how.

I'm curious about these cloud solutions but not sure what's good. The problem I see is that BitTorrent Sync is pretty limited in adoption and understanding right now ... (not to mention beta and sometimes unstable) ... so I'm wondering how anyone can really sustain an operation's development needs and costs beyond it being a simple hobby.

With that said, if it is someone's hobby, I wouldn't mind paying a dollar or two a month for a bit of storage to try out? Hmm :)

• 2 years later...