Android App doesn't honor disable auto-sync

Hi,

I've just started using btsync and have already run into a problem on my Android app - I can't browse my sync folders without downloading everything in the background.

I have added a sync folder on the synchronize tab of the android app using the qr code from my PC btsync instance. I unticked "automatic synchronization" and still, as soon as I hit "done", all files are getting downloaded to my phone.

I actually would like to browser the remote-folders and selectively sync/download certain files/folders. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to achive that?

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the long reply, but yes, I am using both the latest version of the desktop client and android client.  

I just checked to see if unchecking automatic sync would stop the download to no avail. It keeps downloading no matter what.  Please let me know if a logcat is necessary. I've already submitted one through the ticketing system.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Was it actually syncing the files? Or just all of the folders?

I've been having the latter issue, its deceptive as it will download EVERY folder, but not actually the files. Still very annoying and essentially unusable, but it doesn't actually use any space (less than 1kb for 9400 folders for me).

I made a much more long winded topic about it, but I think these earlier reported bugs are probably the same thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a problem that might be related. Sorry if it isn't!

I have a folder since some months, set to not auto sync. Just today, warned by android disk usage alert, I realized that two new files in a sub-folder (created two days ago) had been synced, adding up to 100MB. Further mystery is that these files are among 90 others in the same folder that have staid unsynced as expected.

Further aggravating the issue is that I don't see a simple way of unsyncing these files from the app. If I delete them I guess the deletion will propagate. But I will report this in the feature request forum.

@mosteo

Android has full-scale BTSync and indeed, removing files will remove them from other peers. If you want to "un-sync" them - your solution would be to share RO secret to Android device, then you can delete files without hesitation - the deletion won't propagate.

It is interesting about auto-syncing files, though. As I understand, you have a selective sync and you never choose to sync these 2 files, right? What are the files? Are they different from others? When they were added to your PC peer? Any details might help investigation. If this happened recently - sending debug logs might also help.

• 2 weeks later...

@RomanZ:

It is as you say, these files were in a folder without autosync in the phone. There was nothing special about these files in regard to the others in the folder, at least from a naming/content point of view (they were podcast mp3s). I removed them from a PC, re-added them, and they were re-downloaded in the phone. (I waited to see them dissapear in the phone first).

It hasn't happened again, so...

• 3 weeks later...

mosteo,

did you ever have files with exactly the same filenames, as of these files' names,  synced to your Android? These might be actually different files but having the same name. 

The thing is that if you ever had a filename.mp3 (for example) file downloaded to your phone, then you delete it from the phone (and thus from PC) and then put some filename.mp3 to PC, it will be autodownloaded to the phone. This issue is known to us. 

So try renaming the problematic files on PC and see if they will still be autodownloaded.

Helen,

it is possible that these files would have been in the device but outside btsync folders. Would that count?

I listened to the files in question and deleted them, and since then the issue hasn't arised again, so I cannot try the renaming trick, I'm sorry.

mosteo, 

it is possible that these files would have been in the device but outside btsync folders. Would that count?

don't think it would. Sync doesn't care about files outside its folders, unless these files ever passed through BitTorrent Sync. It will keep the sync_entry of a file by its name (for each sync folder), that's where this issue with the same names arises. 

glad to hear that the problem hasn't appeared yet. If it does, first of all try renaming the files.