BitTorrent Sync for iOS Bug reports and feature requests

raygan

So far I'm loving it! Here's my feedback thus far:

Bugs

• When I try to add a folder, if I type the name first and then scan the barcode, it does not work. It just clears what I typed and what I scanned. But when I do it in reverse order it works. (This is on an iPad 3)
  • File name sorting is weird. It's showing all my files with capitalized names first, followed by all my files with lower case names. Is this normal sorting behavior?

Feature requests

• Universal for iPad!
  • Open In BitTorrent Sync action for .torrent files, pdfs, etc downloaded in Safari and other apps, to get data into the app
  • Option to clear locally cached files or synced files
  • Add folders by pasting in their Secret instead of scanning the QRcode. This would be useful for sharing keys in low-security-requirement setups, for example sharing keys by text message or email. Right now if I wanted to share a key with a friend's phone, and the friend wasn't right next to my computer, I'm not sure how I'd do it.

Thanks for the great work guys. BitTorrent Sync is changing the way I manage my files across all of my devices and I love it.

• When I try to add a folder, if I type the name first and then scan the barcode, it does not work. It just clears what I typed and what I scanned. But when I do it in reverse order it works. (This is on an iPad 3)

I get the same problem, i don't think your meant to enter the name but they don't make that clear.

iPad 2 Wifi

BUGS:

• Confusing: When I try to add a folder, if I type the name first and then scan the barcode, it does not work. It just clears what I typed and what I scanned. But when I do it in reverse order it works.
  • I see corruptions in the backupped pictures from the camera backup (iOS -> Synology). 4 of the 100 files show corruptions in the lower part of the pictures: (the picture below has been resized)
    corruptedpicture.jpg

Thank you for releasing the iOS version :)

iPhone 4S iOS 6.1

As mentioned before, adding a folder has to be done in reverse order or the instructions are not clear enough.

The bigger problem I had, was adding a folder with a QR code at all. I chose to create longer secrets for my shares i.e. +200 characters and realised that the desktop version does not support them, as the QR code gets truncated and therefore cannot be read. I tried several times to read the code with the iOS version until I realised and tested the code with other QR reader software. In the end I created a new share with the preset secret length, read the QR code again with a QR reader to find out what code btsync creates (it was btsync://<the secret>?n=<name of share>) and then created my own QR code. This QR code was readable by btsync and finally enabled me to import the shares.

For this reason, I would like to see more advanced settings to see and/or copy paste the secrets instead of just QR codes.

I would love to see the feature of selective downloads to be ported back to the desktop version if possible.

Thanks again for the effort you put into this :)

Thank you for the feedback! It will help us to make the app better!

We will look at the issues and fix them in future versions.

Feature requests

• Universal for iPad!
  • Option to clear locally cached files or synced files

You can swipe on downloaded file and the button "Delete" will apear. Just touch on it and the cached file will be deleted.

We are planing to release iPad application.

iPad 2 Wifi

BUGS:

• Confusing: When I try to add a folder, if I type the name first and then scan the barcode, it does not work. It just clears what I typed and what I scanned. But when I do it in reverse order it works.
  • I see corruptions in the backupped pictures from the camera backup (iOS -> Synology). 4 of the 100 files show corruptions in the lower part of the pictures: (the picture below has been resized)
    corruptedpicture.jpg

Usually it happens when file is not fully downloaded.

Could you please check that your iOS device show spatus "Completed" on Backup view? And check that there is no .!sync files in backup folder on Synology?

I have camera backup turned on and automatically backup turned off and the initial backup went through fine, but new pictures are not being backed up and I'm not seeing any way to trigger a manual backup. Now if unclear the app from the 'running apps' and relaunch the number of pictures updates on the camera screen and says completed but nothing is actually transfer to my computer.

Please add an option to the iOS app that allows the secret to be cut and pasted, for us iPad (original) users.

Will add this in future releases!

I deleted some files on the PC side and they are still listed on the iPhone app. all I can do it cancel with a swipe. no ability to delete the listing.

Looks like a bug. BItTorrent Sync must update list of files automatically. Could you please check that devices is connected? If yes, please send us logs from your iOS device (go to Settings->Send Feedback) and PC

I have camera backup turned on and automatically backup turned off and the initial backup went through fine, but new pictures are not being backed up and I'm not seeing any way to trigger a manual backup. Now if unclear the app from the 'running apps' and relaunch the number of pictures updates on the camera screen and says completed but nothing is actually transfer to my computer.

If you turned off automatic backup all new photos will not be synched to your computer. Now you have to turn on automatic backup to start synching new photos again.

I've one share that has more than 15000 files (2.1GB). After starting the app (iPad 3) it freeze for about two minutes. When it finally unfreeze opening any subfolder is very slow. Every thing works fine on other shares were I've less than one thousand files.

Yes, currently app has perfomance issue on folders with a large number of files. We are working on fixing it.

• Synchronize folder with all files and subfolders.
  • Ability to cancel downloading.
  • Summary of how many files are cached with button to delete all cached files.

You can tell BTSync to automatically sync all files in sync folder, just touch on a blue circle with white arrow near the folder at the Sync view. A folder settings menu will be appeared.

Also you can cancel download now, just swipe on downloading item and "Cancel" button will be appeared.

The app works really well. Camera backup handled a few gigs of photos in a reasonable amount of time, and is much better than the periodic manual copying of photos I’ve been doing. Bugwise, I did run into that weirdness with the name and QR code. As for features, being able to change the sort of the files and search the filenames would be awesome. A basic text editor would also be nice. Even better would be allowing Sync to receive an “Open In” that lets you send a file (back) to it for syncing (I think the Dropbox iOS app does this).

If you turned off automatic backup all new photos will not be synched to your computer. Now you have to turn on automatic backup to start synching new photos again.

I did turn 'Automatically Backup' on and the pictures did finally sync... The way the settings are currently I was expecting to see an option to manually sync the pictures if I wanted

I started using it, but I was a bit afraid at first.

I did not immediately understand that I did not need to enter the folder name before reading the QR. Suggestion 1: Exchange the position (set the "read QR" button at the top of the page). Suggestion 2: If there is no obvious argument against, just do not allow typing the folder name.

Then, there is something really weird. Each time I press the "read QR" button, if the QR code is not visible in the photo app, the window stays open. Then, when it sees (even a part of) the QR on the LCD screen, the photo window closes immediately, but... nothing seems to happen. In 40-50 trials, the app seemed to recognize the QR, but did not display the folder name (and no error message either). Since I was persistent enough (At least 30-40 trials on both iPhones I own), I noticed once that the folder name was recognized (it was now working fine). It took a lot of patience, I tried on two different LCD displays since I noticed the issue of "moiré" in the photo sometimes. I also tried to do the thing in airplane mode. It's just utter perseverance which got it working.

Now, it seems OK and the synchronization went well and fast.

I'll check how it goes now with deeper activity.

Feature:

I guess this is a design decision, but I found it surprising that I had to set synchronization to auto (what I expected to be the default setup). Please, consider changing the default...

Thanks for this tool.

I guess this is a design decision, but I found it surprising that I had to set synchronization to auto (what I expected to be the default setup). Please, consider changing the default...

Just wanted to say that I think the default is good where it's at now, with it off. On my mobile devices, I don't want file to automatically copy down and take up valuable space... If I want to view them, I'll tap it and download. (That's also consistent behavior with Dropbox, ShareFile, etc.). On my computers, sure, keep full copies of everything in sync, but on mobile where space is limited... the user should choose. Anyway, great app so far - loving it!

I know there's the tracker and relay options and what they control, but I wish it was just more clear for the average user what that all means. Like, wording around "If you want to only sync on your internal network, use these options"... and "if you want to...", etc. Or just more user friendly descriptions of tracker and relay, maybe. Anyway, that's minor.

I did run into one issue where I was just testing it a bit and dropped a .xlsx file into a folder. That file sync'ed to my iPhone no problem and I opened it up. Then created a folder inside that one called "test" and moved the Excel file into it. That change propagated to my iPhone, and the file still showed as downloaded and it opened in Quickview on the iPhone. (I wanted to see if moving a file between folders would be seen as a new file, or just the same file, moved.) Then I swiped to delete the local copy on the iPhone. No problem yet. I then moved the file from the subfolder back to the root folder, and deleted the subfolder. Those changes propagated. So far, so good. I then tapped the file on the iPhone and it just wouldn't download. It stayed stuck with the progress bar, but never downloaded.... didn't get the bar with the speeds... nothing. I force quit the app on the iPhone and restarted it. Then, it downloaded - but it was corrupted and wouldn't open in Quickview or numbers. I deleted the local copy again, thinking it was a fluke, but no matter what I do, the iPhone just won't re-sync a good copy... it's always corrupted. The copy on my Mac is still good, though.