BitTorrent Sync for iOS Bug reports and feature requests

raygan

Hi,

as already said, the app is very slow on big shares. I have a 150GB photo folder which I want to access using the iphone. It works, but response time are very slow when changing directories.

Feature request:

- add an option to sync a whole subdirectory. If I want to look at the pictures from a specific event, I don't want to download each individual picture

- allow a photo-viewer type usage, where you can click on a photo, it downloads _and_ opens, and when you swipe, it will download the next photo (best in background). Basically it would be nice to have a picasa-like experience for photos stored in a bittorrent folder.

I'm absolutely loving BT Sync. It just works (switched from Aero FS).

The iOS version is nice, but needs some features to be usable for me.

• I use it for downloading and viewing photos that I export from Lightroom (Lightroom -> sync folder, works like a charm). I use it for reviewing and showcasing my photos.
  • iPad support (universal binary). This is a must have!
  • Ability to set certain folders to "auto download" so that I don't need to click each photo I want to download
  • Thumbnails for images (jpeg)
  • Ability to browse through images by swiping left or right (like in Gallery)
  • Instead zoom to fit width, the image viewer should use zoom to fit both width and height (i.e. no cropping!)
  • BUG: BT sync crashes really often when I'm browsing through some of my photos (~3 MB jpegs).

Other than that, I'm really loving it. Great job!

I would really appreciate if you could add this feature soon:

Ability to send documents to the BT Sync app (from other apps) to have them uploaded to the other syncing devices. Of course this necessitates the ability to choose the subfolder in which to upload.

That would be amazing for many apps like Goodreader or Jotnot (to upload and share pdfs/scans via BTsync)

Thank you for your work!

I'm using the iOS app so I don't need to carry a USB stick anymore. I'd like to have a "Transfer" folder on my computer that syncs via LAN only, shared that to my iPhone, and also at home (also LAN only). I copied a 7GB file into "Transfer" at work, and I have the iOS app open. I have "automatic sync" enabled. I see the file shows up, and the progress bar appears, but nothing is being synced. Once every minute or two for a second or a fraction of a second only the little black bar showing up/down speed appears in the iOS app and a transfer appears on the OS X app, but then it disappears.

Why isn't it syncing?

I found the solution to this.

When I installed btsync I said NO to allowing the app to know my location. Backup then didn't work.

After I reinstalled the app, I said YES to allow the app to know my location. Then camera roll backup worked instantly.

BUG:

iPad 2

iOS 5

Bt sync doesn't work at all. I turned on automatic camera roll backup, it says:

"0 B in 0 files" "estimating size"

and never progresses. I waited over 8 hours (overnight).

The camera roll only contains 36 photos, so btsync is certainly not doing anything.

I found the solution to this.

When I installed btsync I said NO to allowing the app to know my location. Backup then didn't work.

After I reinstalled the app, I said YES to allow the app to know my location. Then camera roll backup worked instantly.

Oh yes, the application needs this kind of permissions to enumerate all your photos. I think Apple did this because application can get a location where any photo was taken from photo data.

This is app is quite good for a new entry. Here are some things that I feel should be added.

• Ability to play media files and display pictures inside the app.
  • Option to Open files in Btsync from other Apps via the "Open in" dialog.
  • Clear all downloaded files from all folders.

Expanding on the media playing ability, what if the default option was to stream the media rather than download it? Or may be download it first and then play it but only keep it in a temporary folder. So when the user taps on the media file it is stored in a temp location and played. Downloading the file could be an option available by another method such as a long press.

REQUEST:

Ability to add sync folder by using secret key.

Some of us cannot use QR codes.

Eg: the camera breaks, camera cannot focus, we are away from our bt sync computer.

Right now I'm away from my computer running bt sync. So I cannot get the QR code to set it up on my iPad.

But I do have my secret keys stored in lastpass/keepass. OR I can VNC/RDP into my computer and copy/paste the secret key.

Please assume that some of us are using iPad/iPhone only, and no other local computer! :)

So please add an option to add a folder by using secret keys (just like the desktop version).

Yes, BT Sync can cause significant battery loss because it have to sync a lot of data (usually Camera Roll contains several GB's). Now BT Sync doesn't run in background, it can sync data only when application is opened.

That makes perfect sense, thanks for clearing that up.

I found a bug/problem with the camera backup on my iPhone 5. I sent feedback. :)

Quick question that may have been covered, I checked by couldn't see it. Does the camera backup only cover pictures taken on the device and screenshots and pictures saved from email, the web etc. or does it cover everything?

My question is I import photos to my iPad off my camera with the SD card reader device will these be backed up as well?

Quick question that may have been covered, I checked by couldn't see it. Does the camera backup only cover pictures taken on the device and screenshots and pictures saved from email, the web etc. or does it cover everything?

My question is I import photos to my iPad off my camera with the SD card reader device will these be backed up as well?

Camera Backup makes backup of "Camera Roll" album only.

Request:

Recently sync'd/downloaded tab

Reason:

I have a music folder synced which contains hundreds of folders. I wanted to play a classical song by Dvorak. I started downloading it.

I also started to download other songs from other folders.

Now I wanted to find those songs that I had just downloaded. But guess what! I couldn't find where they were.

That's because my music collection is hundreds of folders big!

Imagine 25 folders containing classical music: "classical music 1800-1870", "classical music 1880-1912". Etc!

So in this case with many folders it is impossible to navigate back to the original! :)

A nice solution would be a "recently synced" tab. This way I would have a list of all recently downloaded files.

I could then click on these files and select "open with" etc.

Congratulations! We just published a new update of BitTorrent Sync iOS 1.1.118, it will be available for download in a few hours.
Changes:

- Add ability to enter folder secret manually without scanning QR
- Improve connection via cellular network
- Fix uploading photo library bugs
- Improved performance
- Fix issue with sharing files from Folders tab
- Fix incorrect device name in Mobile-To-Mobile share
- Sync 0-size files
- Fix crashes

Thanks you for your feedback, most of the changes was based on your feedback!

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, currently app has perfomance issue on folders with a large number of files. We are working on fixing it.

You can tell BTSync to automatically sync all files in sync folder, just touch on a blue circle with white arrow near the folder at the Sync view. A folder settings menu will be appeared.

Also you can cancel download now, just swipe on downloading item and "Cancel" button will be appeared.

This is exactly what I was looking for, but it is not at all intuitive. It took me over an hour of google-fu to find this information -- I'm putting in a request that this setting be placed elsewhere, or the circular button be modified. At the moment it just looks like an icon that indicates that you can go into the folder itself. Other than that I love this app!

• 3 weeks later...

One big problem for me on iOS:

I have two *big* shared folders:

1. 500GB folder

2. 350GB folder

When I open BTsync on my iPad it takes *minutes* for it to show these folders.

I'm guessing it does some kind of "indexing" or something similar in order to show the shared folder.

Well, it simply takes too long. I usually open BTsync and then go and make a sandwich. After the minutes of sandwich making it will then show the shared folders.

Please make iOS show the shared folders faster. It should take a few seconds and not minutes! :)