BitTorrent Sync for iOS Bug reports and feature requests

raygan

Does BitTorrent Sync on the iPhone support (or will it support) the ability to open .torrent file from Safari?  I'm hoping to be able to open .torrent files in BitTorrent sync and have files sent to folder on my pc.  I have a bad feeling that this won't be supported because of some Apple restrictions (they hate torrents for some reason).

Feature Request:

Add the ability "use predefined hosts" and the ability to disable a relay and tracking server on the iOS and Android apps, similar to the desktop apps.

Justification:

I've already made the proper infrastructure changes to do this with my desktop clients so I would like to disable the relay and tracker completely and have consistency on mobile.  Additionally, I'd just like to control the infrastructure my data is going over.

Thanks!

Bug in iOS app (latest) on iPad Air:

Some files in the listing can't be opened, even when they are positively downloaded. This works without a problem on the iPhone. It doesn't on the iPad, even after removing and re-adding the folder. See this video i made:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3898368/IMG_0004.MOV

It is quite strange, it seems to depend on the position in the file list if it works.

Related to that: Sometime a folder disappears ffrom the list of the synced folders on the iPad, but when I resync with the QRCode I get the message: "Folder is already synced" and it shows up - again.

Seems like some teething problems to me :) Thanks!

Bug in iOS app (latest) on iPad Air:

Some files in the listing can't be opened, even when they are positively downloaded. This works without a problem on the iPhone. It doesn't on the iPad, even after removing and re-adding the folder. See this video i made:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3898368/IMG_0004.MOV

It is quite strange, it seems to depend on the position in the file list if it works.

Related to that: Sometime a folder disappears ffrom the list of the synced folders on the iPad, but when I resync with the QRCode I get the message: "Folder is already synced" and it shows up - again.

Seems like some teething problems to me :) Thanks!

Thanks for reporting and for cool video =) 

Bug that does not allow to open some files on iPad fixed in our newest version 1.2.36. 

If you will have same problem with folder that disappears from list, please go to Settings (on iPad it is small cogwheel in upper left corner)->Send Feedback describe your issue and send it to us. It will help a lot. 

iOS 5.1.1 iPad 1 Wifi  connection

Splash screen then crash - used to work - please fix .

It is fixed in newest version 1.2.36

Big problem with first gen iPad's that they don't have camera. So we locked the possibility to scan QR code for this devices. 

Hi

I love BTSync and the iOS app, but I have a question regarding the iOS app: Does the app download all the shared data from my Mac when it is open? I have turned off the automatic sync option, but I can still see that files are being downloaded. If this is the case, can you please provide an option to turn off the automatic downloads on the iOS app and only download file when I want to view it. I have a lot of data in the BTSync and it is not feasible to store all of it on my iPhone. Apart from that one issue, I love the app!

Thanks

Anirudh

I actually sent an email to syncapp@bittorrent.com just a sec ago, but just want to check with you guys and see if you also experience something like below.

Issue 1: I can see ghost files from the iOS SyncApp that I would otherwise not see on desktop/laptop computers. It happens when you use apps that support multi-conneciton download (aria2, FlashGet etc). During the download process, the downloader program creates temporary files with ".part" file extensions (so they would be joined together once the download completes). After download finishes, the temporary part files would be removed, but I can still see them under iOS and Android. It means that I can't download them, because the files aren't there. I can't delete them, but well, again, files really are not there anymore.

Issue 2: on iOS, the video play back has improved much, but it is still missing the pause button.

post-32102-0-49438700-1385418136_thumb.p

Hi

I love BTSync and the iOS app, but I have a question regarding the iOS app: Does the app download all the shared data from my Mac when it is open? I have turned off the automatic sync option, but I can still see that files are being downloaded. If this is the case, can you please provide an option to turn off the automatic downloads on the iOS app and only download file when I want to view it. I have a lot of data in the BTSync and it is not feasible to store all of it on my iPhone. Apart from that one issue, I love the app!

Thanks

Anirudh

Thanks for your feedback.

As long as "Automatic Sync" switch is off in folder preferences (small cogwheel in folders list will open folder prefs) iOS app won't download anything from your Mac. There was a similar problem when you upgrade from 1.1.xx versions to 1.2.xx versions. Is this your case ? If it's not please provide more info. it will help us tremendously.

I actually sent an email to syncapp@bittorrent.com just a sec ago, but just want to check with you guys and see if you also experience something like below.

Issue 1: I can see ghost files from the iOS SyncApp that I would otherwise not see on desktop/laptop computers. It happens when you use apps that support multi-conneciton download (aria2, FlashGet etc). During the download process, the downloader program creates temporary files with ".part" file extensions (so they would be joined together once the download completes). After download finishes, the temporary part files would be removed, but I can still see them under iOS and Android. It means that I can't download them, because the files aren't there. I can't delete them, but well, again, files really are not there anymore.

Issue 2: on iOS, the video play back has improved much, but it is still missing the pause button.

Ok. We are checking your issue with .part files at the moment. It will be fixed in next version.

Second issue seems strange. We are using default video player for iOS. Can you attach a screenshot ? 

Thanks for your feedback.

As long as "Automatic Sync" switch is off in folder preferences (small cogwheel in folders list will open folder prefs) iOS app won't download anything from your Mac. There was a similar problem when you upgrade from 1.1.xx versions to 1.2.xx versions. Is this your case ? If it's not please provide more info. it will help us tremendously.

Yes the "Automatic Sync" preference is off for all my folders but it still downloads the files. I have attached screenshots below. If required, I can provide you with logs (Im an iOS developer). Also, I didn't upgrade from 1.1.xx to 1.2.xx. I started with 1.2.xx. I deleted the app and reinstalled and it seemed to have solved the issue :)

It also be nice if we could have an option to clear downloaded files.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/51nb5s7zqlwnoxx/1.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h93goyemvlb1sz4/2.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qykgjthqy942e7p/3.png

Edited by theanirudh

Yes the "Automatic Sync" preference is off for all my folders but it still downloads the files. I have attached screenshots below. If required, I can provide you with logs (Im an iOS developer). Also, I didn't upgrade from 1.1.xx to 1.2.xx. I started with 1.2.xx. I deleted the app and reinstalled and it seemed to have solved the issue :)

It also be nice if we could have an option to clear downloaded files.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/51nb5s7zqlwnoxx/1.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h93goyemvlb1sz4/2.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qykgjthqy942e7p/3.png

If you still have logs - send it to us. 

You are able to remove downloaded files by swapping left in files list ) 

• 2 weeks later...

HI.

first thing is that I really appreceate this application.

Then I would like to suggest you some features:

• sync music files into iphone/ipad default music player
  • right now it is possible to send only one file to another app. I would prefer if I could select many files and send them all to a specific music player
  • maybe I would like to have a default application for music/video/... So I would like to setup btsync so that when I do for example double tap, it will automatically opens a player that I have configured before.

Maybe could be a good idea if you make a music player based on btsync api, but - on the other side it woud be maybe better if creators of currently existing music players would start using btsync api.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

First, thank you so much for providing such a wonderful solution!

Two requests:

1: Create folders in the bittorrent sync app

2: Generate secret keys from bittorrent sync app

3: Dropbox has a web interface with public shared links that allow access to files without the need to download a client, can we implement something similar?

Justification:

I want to create a folder on my idevice and put files in it and generate a secret key to share with my computer or other idevice. I saw this opportunity when I realized my computer can't add a QRcode. I would also like to share links to specific folders/files without the other user having to download a client and can get them from any browser.

If these features were implemented it would be hard for dropbox to keep me.

If I'm supposed to be using this app different and this is already implemented please let me know.

Thanks!

On the iPhone version you can see the number of connected devices, but on the iPad you can not (which is really strange given that the iPad has more screen real estate, so you would rather expect the opposite)

It would be great if the files would show the last modified date (so you can see what changed when), or even allow sorting on that.

When using 'open in...' you can't select a subfolder in a share to put the new file in.

Just got the new ios update today (1.2.42) and started having this problem. I have a folder in the app synced with a folder on my laptop, and had no problems previously. But now if I do anything that prevents the ios app from communicating with the client on the laptop, the files all disappear from the screen. When I leave wifi range, or just shut down the client on my laptop, the folder in the ios app gets emptied out. If I restart the laptop client, the files reappear instantly in the app.

I am having the same issue. It was working fine previously, but since updating to the latest iOS version on iPhone the synced files and folders are only visible when the client computer is on and connected, rendering the whole app useless.

Is this a bug with the new version? Please release a fix soon.

I have a problem whith the IPad app.

If i send a file to the App for uploading everything is fine if i try to upload to the main share or to a level 1 subfolder. If i try to upload to a level 2 or deeper folder just nothing happens.

Edited by NorHeim

• 1 month later...

Loving sync so far!

Bug report:

- Sync crashes sometimes when adding new keys either via QR or typed

Feature requests from me:

- Background app refresh capability under IOS7 - so it can sync in the background without IOS killing the task

- Display pictures/media within the app

- Per folder auto sync support

- Landscape mode support

- Predefined hosts support 

- Generate keys in app support

- Unsure whether BTSync uses AES128 or 256 due to conflicting info on web - please support 256 if it doesn't already

- Ability to manually enter key for Camera Backup - so we can use the same camera backup for multiple devices

- Key for me: Maybe a separate app but an equivalent to Apples Notes (or SwiftKey Note) app - so we can create text notes and they sync across all devices - again saves the use of a public cloud or email service

Cheers!

I cannot delete files from an iPad.

Using a full access key, if I delete a file on iPad, only the local cache is deleted. The file name is still there. If I click the file name again, it will be downloaded again.

Is it possible to delete a file from iPad (full access folder), and sync the deletion to other devices (PC, iPhone, etc.)?

• 3 weeks later...

I would really like to have the ability to manage pictures correctly with BTSYNC.

As of now, I can backup pictures from my iPad to my computer, but I can't easily send batch of pictures to my iPad.

For example, I would like the ability to many pictures from a SYNC'd folder to the camera roll or another album.

It would really improve my life if you could do this, as of now I have to open each picture individually and copy the picture on the iPad.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Already reported to the support team and confirmed. This is from ticket #9437. I'm posting it here in case anyone else encounters this issue using the iOS BitTorrent Sync App Version 1.3.25

There is definitely a bug in the iOS app. The Camera Roll backup feature attempts to sync photos which have been deleted, causing the sync process to hang before it's completed.

I've checked the sync.log file on my NAS, and then searched the iPhone for the photo files the app is attempting to sync, and they don't exist. I think what's happening is that the app is reading from the sqllite db on the phone, and assuming the file exists. Then it gets stuck as there is '0' bytes to send.

• 2 weeks later...

Feature Request: Background Uploading... (iOS) Automatically backup photos without having to go into the app.

Reasoning: I would like to automate photo backups. It would be nice to not have to set a reminder to sync photos once a week (by manually going into the app). I know similar services such as DropBox have this feature and I would love it here!

Keep up the AWESOME work!

-Eric