BitTorrent Sync for iOS Bug reports and feature requests

raygan

The app works fine, but if I understand it, there are major limitations, possibly due to the lack of a file system in iOS.

I'd like to be able to pass files back and forth between my Mac and my iOS devices.  Edit on either and keep them in sync, without a cloud, purely P2P.

I can open an Excel file on the iPad from the BT app, but there is no way to save it back.  Am I missing something?  Did MS not support this, or what?

Small bug report:

I use my iPhone a lot for tethering, and when you tether, it puts a blue bar across the top of the screen. Instead of the BTSync app correctly adjusting, it cuts off the bottom of the app. I believe this should be an easy fix.... Thanks! GREAT app! Thanks SO MUCH for supporting iWork files - huge plus for me...

The app works fine, but if I understand it, there are major limitations, possibly due to the lack of a file system in iOS.

I'd like to be able to pass files back and forth between my Mac and my iOS devices.  Edit on either and keep them in sync, without a cloud, purely P2P.

I can open an Excel file on the iPad from the BT app, but there is no way to save it back.  Am I missing something?  Did MS not support this, or what?

This is a 2-part issue. 1) Apple doesn't really have APIs to allow for good round-tripping of documents on iOS, unless you use iCloud, in which case it's supported. 2) Microsoft only support round-tripping of documents via OneDrive.

So basically... Microsoft is unlikely to change. This is their "hook." But even if they wanted to, they can't right now due to Apple APIs (or lack thereof) which I really hope come in iOS8.

This is a 2-part issue. 1) Apple doesn't really have APIs to allow for good round-tripping of documents on iOS, unless you use iCloud, in which case it's supported. 2) Microsoft only support round-tripping of documents via OneDrive.

So basically... Microsoft is unlikely to change. This is their "hook." But even if they wanted to, they can't right now due to Apple APIs (or lack thereof) which I really hope come in iOS8.

As I feared.  Hopefully Apple will address this so we can use BT to escape the cloud.  Thanks!

Already reported to the support team and confirmed. This is from ticket #9437. I'm posting it here in case anyone else encounters this issue using the iOS BitTorrent Sync App Version 1.3.25

There is definitely a bug in the iOS app. The Camera Roll backup feature attempts to sync photos which have been deleted, causing the sync process to hang before it's completed.

I've checked the sync.log file on my NAS, and then searched the iPhone for the photo files the app is attempting to sync, and they don't exist. I think what's happening is that the app is reading from the sqllite db on the phone, and assuming the file exists. Then it gets stuck as there is '0' bytes to send.

Update: Tested BitTorrent Sync v1.3.35 on iOS 7.1.1 and the issue still exists.

So here's an issue... When adding photos to a folder in the Bittorrent Sync iOS app, there is no rhyme or reason as to how they are sorted. I believe the APIs allow for a more intelligent way to display photos. For example, Camera Roll should be on the very top. After that, all my albums should be in the same order as they are on my phone.

Feature Request: Just to chime in with a "Me too" :), it would be immensely useful if the app supported background transfers. Having to open the app to synchronize files means that files may be lost if BTSync is used as a backup mechanism.

Otherwise loving the functionality and the price.

• 3 weeks later...

Already reported to the support team and confirmed. This is from ticket #9437. I'm posting it here in case anyone else encounters this issue using the iOS BitTorrent Sync App Version 1.3.25

There is definitely a bug in the iOS app. The Camera Roll backup feature attempts to sync photos which have been deleted, causing the sync process to hang before it's completed.

I've checked the sync.log file on my NAS, and then searched the iPhone for the photo files the app is attempting to sync, and they don't exist. I think what's happening is that the app is reading from the sqllite db on the phone, and assuming the file exists. Then it gets stuck as there is '0' bytes to send.

Update: Tested BitTorrent Sync v1.3.35 on iOS 7.1.1 and the issue still exists.

Hi, I tried an alternative approach by syncing with the OSX app from my iPhone and the latest version of the software, but the problem still exists.

So it looks like the bug is still in BitTorrent Sync v1.3.40 on iOS 7.1.1 - tbh, I'm surprised not more people are reporting this, it makes the iPhone Camera Roll backup feature useless, as it stalls during the sync and only backs up a certain number of photos.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

even with the iOS App Version: 1.4.60 on my 5S iOS 7.1.2. The camera roll backup function didn't work. The ios Client start to communicate with my server but it transfers any data. in the app it shows my actual amount of files in GB and writes permanently "Size will estimated..." and "0 Devices connected". and nothing else happend. The rest of my Data are in sync.

pls fix this problem. wouldn't return to apple fotosync.

sorry for any bad english, non native speaker.

Edited by janosch2k6

Auto-Sync No Longer Works!?

I've been successfully using BTSync 1.3 to move files from my server PC to my iPhone 4S, but with the new updates to 1.4.83 and iOS8/app version 1.4.60 it seems that Auto-Sync doesn't work. Despite that the PC shows green checks/synced, and the iOS app also shows "Synced" and every Synced folder has its Auto-sync checkmark ON (Green) all files must be individually selected before they will download to my iPhone.

This is not what I want of course--how do I get Auto-Sync to move all the files from the Server to the iPhone again? And of course to auto-download any file CHANGES that may occur?

Edited by tomtx

So I've had this problem with BTSYNC on iOS 8 for over a week now - I can see my shares, and *some* of the folders and files inside them, but it doesn't seem to refresh - I can add a file on my Mac and see it go to the other computers that are synced with that particular share, but when I try to access the new file from the iPad, it's not there.  Any ideas?

Sync for iOS latest 1.4.71 is still (badly) broken. On my iPhone 4S iOS8.0.2 when I try to Add Folder the screen momentarily goes black and I'm returned to the "desktop". A double-tap of the Home key shows Sync is running in the background, with not the Add Folder screen I'd been on but rather the Sync Approvals Settings About Help screen. Tapping that brings-up the Sync "Add Folder" "Camera backup" screen again but again tapping Add Folder causes the screen to black and to Desktop.

I really need you guys to fix this, because I don't want to go back to iOS7 to get Sync working again.