Text editor for iOS, in Sync's open menu?

crmbl

First off, congrats on the iOS release!

When opening text files in BTSync for iOS, I get the option to open it in one of my other apps, including Dropbox and Evernote. I'd like to open it in a text editor, edit it, then save it back to BTSync. Is this workflow possible? If so, how do I know which text editing apps will appear in this context menu?

I apologise if this becomes a "plug your favourite iOS text editor" thread, but it'd be useful to know which apps fulfill this role. I tried some from this list which support "Open in...", but no luck.

Any recommendations?

Thank you!

I can't recommend you any text editing applications, I don't use any of them.

But note in because of iOS appliucations sandbox when you open text file in any text editor app using "Open in ..." iOS makes a copy of the original file and opens the copy in text editor app. It means any changes you make in text editor app will not be apply to file that is inside BTSync.

We will include simple text editor into BTSync iOS app if there will be many requests for this.

• 4 months later...

On Android, I never use the BitTorrent Sync app. I always use a file manager to browse and edit my files. When I save, BTS auto-magically detects the change and syncs it. Is that possible on iOS? I currently don't have any iOS devices to test, but will probably buy one again in the future.

iOS doesn't allow a user to browse files stored on the disk. Also an application on iOS doesn't have an access to files which are owned by another application.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I absolutely want  a text editor that syncs in a p2p fashion.  Ideally, I want a cloudless evernote-type app, so a p2p evernote type app would be downright utopian.  This is just as important on a PC as it is on a smart  device.  I currently use Onenote without cloud to sync PCs on a network, but there appears to be no way to connect to a smart device without using the cloud.  I tried a cloudless evernote-ish app called MyShelf a while back, but it did not quite get me where I needed to be.  I would love to see bittorrent do  a p2p note sync app.

• 4 months later...

Since this "integrated file edit" feature does not appear a priority for the team (I understand that on most platforms, except iOS, it is fairly easy with an external app), I am wondering whether the BTSync API is a solution to solve this. Isn't it the task of an independent developper to create a note-taking-file-editing app use the BTSync API?

Second idea, again because this is fairly iOS-dependent, isn't the use of the new iOS 8 API a solution to make sure that BTSync on iOS becomes able to "share" documents out of the sandboxed BTSync, in an Apple-approved way?

Obviously, I am a bit out of my league and I would need to be confirmed or corrected by somebody much more knowledgeable. I'm welcoming any help here, since I am more than interested in this feature.

Since this "integrated file edit" feature does not appear a priority for the team (I understand that on most platforms, except iOS, it is fairly easy with an external app), I am wondering whether the BTSync API is a solution to solve this. Isn't it the task of an independent developper to create a note-taking-file-editing app use the BTSync API?

At present, unfortunately the Sync API isn't available on mobile platforms. However, the developers are aware of the interest in extending the API to mobile platforms as well.