Can't move files without deleting?

Huggybaby

Hello,

I'm sharing a 14GB folder (and counting) of 400+ files with a handful of people. This collection of files is still being rearranged.

t appears that when I move files from one folder to another, they all get deleted on the client end, and I have to re-upload them all.

Is this correct? And if so, will this be fixed in the future?

Thank you for this cool app.

Thanks, but my case is different.

Let's say I have a sync folder called "Sync Folder".

In there is a folder called "Pictures".

In the Pictures folder is a bunch of files, say A.jpg thru Z.jpg.

At this point everything has been synced.

Now I make a new folder called "Pictures 2", and I move A.jpg thru J.jpg into it.

Everything has stayed within my synced folder, I've only done some rearranging.

But I think things get deleted and re-uploaded rather than moved. And the same goes if I just rename a file without otherwise changing it or moving it at all. BTSync doesn't seem to follow those operations.

I could easily test this myself but I only have one computer and my users are in different time zones and very difficult to coordinate tests with.

Yes adding a "move" command into theprotocol similar to "git mv" would be great so as not to have to retransmit already resident data,

Hello,

I'm sharing a 14GB folder (and counting) of 400+ files with a handful of people. This collection of files is still being rearranged.

t appears that when I move files from one folder to another, they all get deleted on the client end, and I have to re-upload them all.

Is this correct? And if so, will this be fixed in the future?

Thank you for this cool app.

• 2 weeks later...

+1

The lack of a 'move' command is really frustrating, I did an "auto arrange music filename" operation and the whole thing had to be re-uploaded.

I did notice that **sometimes** Bittorrent Sync handles a move as a 'rename' and doesn't need to retransmit the files. However it seems to not be resilient to changes in the directory structure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There is move in BTSync but it's very instable. If you move something, btsync will recognize it as remove and add. If the sync runs realtime, then there is some time difference between the realization remove and add, so btsync doesn't recognize this as move, but a seperate delete THEN an add.

This would be fixed if btsync would wait if it checked every changes, THEN start to do the transfer.

But until it isn't fixed by developers, i do this: i don't let btsync connect to other machines(i kill btsync process on the other PC), just when it's finished all indexing, and recognized all of the changes, then start btsync on other pc.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

As @disconnect mentioned, "move" logic is implemented in BTSync, however, it is not ideal yet and can be improved. If anyone has a stably reproduced use case when btsync prefers re-uploading instead of moving - I appreciate assistance, in form of:

1. Detailed description of replication (including OS, size and amount of files, LAN\WAN, bandwidth, etc.)

2. Debug logs from reproduction. 

• 2 months later...

Renaming a folder inside a sync-Folder often results in remove/re-upload of the entire content. This was mentioned by several users. A test of me showed that this seems to be happening when the folder name contains special characters like German umlaute. Renaming a Folder "Frühstück" to "Frühstück 2" results in removal of all the files a complete re-upload. Renaming the Folder "Frühstück" to "Fruehstueck 2" results in the correct renaming. Maybe something for the BTS-team to check... Considering the "conflict"-discussion about the Umlaute it would not surprise me if I am on to something here.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@visnumber, @bherila

Unfortunately issue is no longer reproduced in my lab. I'll need your help to track it down. Could you please collect debug logs from 2 computers which are affected (issue must reproduce before you collect logs) and provide me both logs and name of folder that you've get renamed?

Thanks!

Dear RomanZ!

The issue is still there:

I moved the photos

IMG_6164B.JPG
IMG_6165B.JPG
IMG_6166B.JPG
IMG_6167B.JPG
IMG_6168B.JPG
IMG_6169B.JPG
IMG_6170B.JPG
IMG_6171B.JPG
IMG_6172B.JPG
IMG_6173B.JPG
IMG_6174B.JPG
IMG_6175B.JPG
IMG_6176B.JPG
IMG_6177B.JPG
IMG_6178B.JPG
IMG_6179B.JPG
IMG_6180B.JPG
IMG_6184B.MOV
IMG_6185B.JPG
IMG_6187B.JPG
IMG_6213.JPG
IMG_6214.JPG
IMG_6215.JPG

altogether to a new subfolder called

Fotos Anja Virgil Kinder/20140401 Zino Oskar Sol April 2014/Digitalfotos
and they were again deleted and added (and thus copied again). Renaming seems to work if I only move a single file. But with many it does not.

Log is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55874826/sync.log

Thanks
Virgil