iOS SMB or WebDAV Sync Folder

John Peterson

## iOS SMB or WebDAV Sync Folder

Can BitTorrent Sync iOS use a SMB or WebDAV folder as a Sync Folder?

## Reason

The goal is to use a Seagate Wireless Plus smb://172.25.0.1 or 172.25.0.1/dav folder as a Sync Folder in an iPad

Using SMB or WebDAV as a Sync Folder has meaning because iPad

* built in storage is 16 GB

* SD card connected to Lightning store at most 32 GB

* don't support (non-jailbroken) mounting an external USB disk connected through Lightning, except

* [HyperDrive Hard Drive for iPad](http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/Hard-Drive-for-iPad/HDIP-1TB.html) that cost $400 compared to Seagate Wireless Plus that cost $200

## Clarification for the topic "iOS SMB or WebDAV Sync Folder"

>That's not the purpose of the program, also its technology doesn't allow that. It relies on bittorrent technology. Not smb/webdav.

This reply understand the question as being about sync through SMB or WebDAV rather than BitTorrent

This is wrong because

* the question is about using a SMB or WebDAV folder as a Sync Folder, that has meaning because wired (rather than wireless) iOS storage is limited

## OS

>You can use SMB folder as a shared folder in BTSync without any issues

Clarify that you're talking about BitTorrent Sync iOS (rather than another OS) by

* describing the GUI actions to do this

because

* the Android BTSync GUI don't allow a SMB folder as a Sync Folder because the GUI action "Add sync folder > Choose folder" don't allow typing a Sync Folder path (f.e. smb: // 172.25.0.1/folder) rather than selecting it in a folder browser (where a SMB folder can't be mounted on a non-rooted device)

* it's possible that the iOS code is similar to the Android code. I.o.w. don't allow a SMB folder as a Sync Folder

Clarify that you're talking about BitTorrent Sync iOS (rather than another OS)

Please correct me if I'm wrong. You have Seagate Wireless Plus device and iPad and you'd like to play and manage files from Seagate device on your mobile device. You don't want to install BTSync on Seagate.

Looks like you don't need BitTorrent Sync for this, you only need a WebDAV iOS application.

Why do you want to use BitTorrent Sync iOS in this case?

• 2 weeks later...

## iOS

>Please correct me if I'm wrong. You have Seagate Wireless Plus device and iPad and you'd like to play and >manage files from Seagate device on your mobile device.

>Looks like you don't need BitTorrent Sync for this, you only need a WebDAV iOS application.

>Why do you want to use BitTorrent Sync iOS in this case?

Because the data come from

Internet computer with BTSync > iOS > Seagate Wireless Plus

rather than

iOS > Seagate Wireless Plus

## Seagate Wireless Plus

>You don't want to install BTSync on Seagate.

The reason I want to copy the data from

Internet computer with BTSync > iOS > Seagate Wireless Plus

rather than

Internet computer with BTSync > Seagate Wireless Plus

is

* it's easier to run BTSync in iOS compared to in Seagate Wireless Plus

* I don't know that btsync_arm.tar.gz run in Seagate Wireless Plus because [this](http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/23682-seagate-wireless-plus) question isn't answered