Sync to only one machine in LAN from Internet?

mrmachine

I have two machines on my home LAN (H1, H2) and one machine at work (W1) that all sync the same folder. When I add files to (W1), I am seeing that BTSync is uploading to BOTH (H1) and (H2) at the same time.

My upload speed is limited (ADSL). Is this uploading the same data twice (to H1 and H2)? Or is it uploading different data (H1) and (H2), which then sync with each other over the home LAN?

I can see the same file being transferred to both machines, and the file is under 4MB, so I assume it is uploading the same data twice?

I saw in the FAQ that I can limit a folder to sync only via LAN by disabling tracker, relay and DHT. So I did that on (H2), thinking that when I added files (W1) it would upload ONLY to (H1), and then (H1) would sync with (H2) over the home LAN.

But even after restarting BTSync on (H2), I can see that (W1) is still uploading to both (H1) and (H2). How do I make (H2) sync over LAN only, while still allowing (H1) and (W1) to sync over the Internet?

I am answering this from my knowledge of bittorrent It maybe wrong for btsync.

With the default set up it should not download the same bits from W1 because it check for availability of the chucks from everything it is connected it. If you leave it a while you should see that there is transfers from W1 -> H1, H2 and H1 <-> H2.

However when it first starts it may pick to download the same first file, by chance. (To make sure you could just leave H1 running for a bit then turn on H2 later to make sure).

So you shouldn't need to set one for lan only sync.

However you may bring up a interesting question

"Bitorrent checks availability of the 4MB chucks does BTSync check the availability of files?"

Here is a topic on lan only sync.

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/21286-lan-only-sync/

Hope that helps

Thanks for the reply.

So it sounds like if I am syncing a few large files, then there could still be a little duplication but not too much. But if I am syncing many small files (e.g. a folder of Photos, with each photo being under or just over 4MB) then I am very highly likely to be sending the same whole files to both H1 and H2 at the same time.

This seems to be the case, as when I watch the transfers window, BTSync appears to be working it's way through the file list sequentially, and so I often see the exact same small file being transferred to both H1 and H2 at the same time. Effectively sending twice as much data for no reason.

So although I shouldn't need to force one machine to LAN sync only (to sync a few large files), do you have any idea why when I tried to force one machine to sync via LAN only it was still syncing over the Internet?

Having to VPN into H2 to "pause" syncing for a while, then copy files into my BTSync folder on W1, then VPN back to H2 a while later to un-pause, seems to defeat the purpose of seamless sync (private dropbox style) :)