Deleted files reappear!

coldcut

Hello!

I set up BTSync for a directory on one PC (which I will refer to as Ubuntu1) and shared the full access secret to a second PC (Ubuntu2). After fully syncing, Ubuntu2 has downloaded all of the original files.

Next, when I delete a file on Ubuntu2 it simply downloads it from Ubunutu1 again during syncing! Surely what should happen instead is the file on Ubuntu1 should be moved to the .SynchArchive? Why do my files keep coming back?

Thank you!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm having the same issue. I'm syncing a folder between a Windows 2003 server and a Synology NAS. If a file is deleted on the server, it re-appears instead of being deleted from the NAS.

Could someone help me on this ? It is the second issue that could prevent me from using btsync and it's getting frustrating at this point.

Regards,

David

Same problem here. Deleted folders keep coming back. I made sure that the date/time is synced on each PC, and it is, but still recreates ALL deleted folders. Worse, if I rename a folder, it will add the previous folder name back to the machine in addition to the new renamed one. I'm using the latest version of Sync. If I can't figure this out, I have to abandon BTS unfortunately.

When telling us what version of sync you're using, please do NOT use the words "latest version" because users tend to rely on the check for updates function which doesn't always have the latest version available on it.

I used the words "latest version" because BTS itself reports that it's up to date.

Hi guys,

Please share some information so we can fix the issue.

1. What is the amount of subfolders / files in your Sync folder?

2. What is the max. depths of directory subtree being synced?

3. What is your hardware?

4. Anyone can gather logs from both computers with full debug turned on (here goes instruction)?

1, 2. I only have one test folder without any subfolders. There are 3 files in it.

3. 1#: Windows 7 x64, Intell Core2Duo 4400, Socket 775 - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R, 4GB DDR2, some old 1TB SATA Seagate 7200 model + NAS D-link DNS-325 with 2TB HDD. PC is connected to Zyxel Keenetic Giga II via cable. BT Sync 1.2.82.

2#: Windows XP, Athlon 3000+, 1GB DDR2(?), 2xHDDs, connected to D-link router via cabel. BT Sync 1.2.82. Unfortunatelly, I don't have access to this PC at the moment, so I can't gather any logs. 

The test folder has default settings in BT Sync.

Edited by grow

• 2 weeks later...

... didn't have time to compile all the info to report properly but just had an insight which might trigger something (and paleez pardon my French!)

This situation came to my attention when I tried to delete files - MP3 files - that I keep in sync between 3 machines, listed here in order of installation :

1. Win7HE_64-current, btsync-1.2.82
  2. Nexus4 running stock Android-4.4.2, btsync-1.2.14
  3. #!_64-11-current, btsync-1.2.82 (installed thru tuxpoldo unofficial packages!)

... but when I added the last machine, before I added the "music" folder to the btsync instance, I copied all files locally, in order to not impact the bandwidth of the network!

Now it's impossible to delete files from my Windex box or my Nexus phone, they will always reappeared! The only way to delete is to do it via my linux box...

Is it possible that when I copied my music to my linux box the files' timestamp has been reset so they appear more recent? I could eventually doublecheck, but for now I don't have access to my Windex box...

Just lemme know if I can help!

Also here. Deleted files and folders reappear, and most updated files revert to older versions. Also new files are being lost if a sync machine was some time offline and reconnects. It is as a long time being off machine imposes its stand over all others. And yes, the clocks on all machines are correct (keept synchron with SP TimeSync, all in UTC). BTSync deinstalled, I'm sorry.

... didn't have time to compile all the info to report properly but just had an insight which might trigger something (and paleez pardon my French!)

This situation came to my attention when I tried to delete files - MP3 files - that I keep in sync between 3 machines, listed here in order of installation :

1. Win7HE_64-current, btsync-1.2.82
  2. Nexus4 running stock Android-4.4.2, btsync-1.2.14
  3. #!_64-11-current, btsync-1.2.82 (installed thru tuxpoldo unofficial packages!)

... but when I added the last machine, before I added the "music" folder to the btsync instance, I copied all files locally, in order to not impact the bandwidth of the network!

Now it's impossible to delete files from my Windex box or my Nexus phone, they will always reappeared! The only way to delete is to do it via my linux box...

Is it possible that when I copied my music to my linux box the files' timestamp has been reset so they appear more recent? I could eventually doublecheck, but for now I don't have access to my Windex box...

Just lemme know if I can help!

Have you checked, that btsync on the linux machine is able to read and write the folders with the music? From your description, I understood that you installed the package btsync-user - this means that btsync is running under the credentials of the currently logged in user. You should check, that the music folder and all files you are synching  are owned by that user or at least the permission of the directory and files allow the user btsync is running as, to create/read/write/delete the files....

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same Issue, but in my case i'm on the way to an answer.

On 1 PC (Win7) the "Chronik"  (German Version) listed the fiel as removed from a peer, but the file remains in the directory, and provably on the next Filesystem-Scan it was re-copied to the other peers.

I discovered that the reappearing file was set to read-only. After resetting the Attribute the file was deletet as expected.

The Cause of the read-only Attribute is still to investigated.

Unfortunately in the Debog-Log was an Entry  that the File was removed from the Peer, but the Failure of the real deleting was not listed.

BTSync 1.2.82

Hope this will eventually help someone.

Have you checked, that btsync on the linux machine is able to read and write the folders with the music? From your description, I understood that you installed the package btsync-user - this means that btsync is running under the credentials of the currently logged in user. You should check, that the music folder and all files you are synching  are owned by that user or at least the permission of the directory and files allow the user btsync is running as, to create/read/write/delete the files....

Hey sorry it took that long to reply, but since it ain't a major issue it's the kink of thing I left on the backburner!

btsync-user is running under my credentials and the directory in question is the default one - ~/music - so as far as permissions are concerned, everything is okay!

My setup has changed a lot in the passed few days : had to "factory default" my phone and didn't reinstall btsync (waiting for a warranty replacement!) and got rid of my Windex laptop, now running with ubuntu-13.10_64-current... I still have a Windex box if you would like me to try and reproduce the issue...

• 4 weeks later...

This is happening to me also,

deleted folders and (some) files re appear after every hourly sync.  This a huge pain and will stop me using bittorrent sync, which up until now has been great.  Are there any solutions or more info people want to get to the bottom of this?