BitTorrent Sync OSX crashing consistently

yifanlu

BTSync worked for a day and now it always crashes a minute after launching it. I've tried restating OSX and quitting other apps (including Transmission), but it still crashes. It's always about a minute after launch (usually while it's indexing). If it helps, I have another mac on the network also running btsync (with no error). I'm also syncing files from an external drive.

I've attached a crash log BitTorrent Sync_2013-09-19-215955_Yifans-MacBook-Air.txt

Hmm, the file does not give any indication on what is going on. You can have a more verbose output in sync.log if you check "Enable Debug Logging" in the menu options. Maybe something then crops up, which goes unnoticed otherwise.

And then, does it always crash with the Documents folder being last? Maybe a new file in there creates problems?

It's crashing for me too, but not until I started syncing a much larger folder than I was before (went from hundreds of megabytes to 1.6 GB).  The last message in the sync.log says:

[20130922 21:39:07.537] Going to connect to peer 192.168.1.10:27168 for file <some file.png>
[20130922 21:39:07.537] Finished receiving metadata for '<some file.png>'

(where <some file.png> is an actual filename and path)

And then it just quits.  Not clue as to why.  I'm running btsync 1.1.70 on Max OS X 10.8.4.  I have messages that 10.8.5 is ready to install, I just haven't done it yet.  The peer at 192.168.1.10:27168 is my Linux desktop, running 1.1.70 also, in case that helps.

Just noticed a few lines up in the sync.log that there is a file with a <DF> in the name (highlighted, when I view sync.log with less).  When I view sync.log with emacs it's this character: ß and when I look at the actual file on the original machine (a linux box), it has a question mark in the name.  I'm not sure where that came from, but could that be the problem?  It does not exist on the Mac, like it never actually go copied over.

Wow!  Getting off topic now, but I had synced the same folder using Spideroak before, and I just looked at the destination folder and that file with the ? in the name is completely missing.  Spideroak just silently skipped right over it, apparently.  I guess other apps have problems with that filename too...

Hmm, the file does not give any indication on what is going on. You can have a more verbose output in sync.log if you check "Enable Debug Logging" in the menu options. Maybe something then crops up, which goes unnoticed otherwise.

And then, does it always crash with the Documents folder being last? Maybe a new file in there creates problems?

I think I found the problem. It was a link that was invalid. I had a "backup" of /proc from an embedded linux machine on my OSX computer. One soft link in this folder had permissions that was l-wx------ but I couldn't access or change the permissions (to see where the link pointed to). I deleted this /proc backup directory and sync works.

Just noticed a few lines up in the sync.log that there is a file with a <DF> in the name (highlighted, when I view sync.log with less).  When I view sync.log with emacs it's this character: ß and when I look at the actual file on the original machine (a linux box), it has a question mark in the name.  I'm not sure where that came from, but could that be the problem?  It does not exist on the Mac, like it never actually go copied over.

Wow!  Getting off topic now, but I had synced the same folder using Spideroak before, and I just looked at the destination folder and that file with the ? in the name is completely missing.  Spideroak just silently skipped right over it, apparently.  I guess other apps have problems with that filename too...

The same problem was reported by some other users in this forum, citing that using the french accents in filenames caused trouble as well. For the time being, it seems best to stick with the US alphabet without any localised characters.

More information this morning.  I tried syncing the same directory (with the filename with a ? in it) with another linux machine and it synced just fine, question mark and all (so, for the record, it handled it better than Spideroak).  Next I'll trying renaming the file to get rid of the question mark and see if the Mac btsync client can proceed without crashing.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I am having constant crashes on the Mac as well. I am also running it on two other windows machines on my network and the windows versions are stable. The Mac one crashes constantly and is unusable.

I have sent in some of the crash report logs via the send feedback option in sync.

Edited by aoleon

• 5 years later...

just as this is the first thread showing up under resilio and mac os crash: i had a lot of problems syncing between mac and windows. what did it for me is to go into the (hidden) .sync folder in each synced directory (on mac and pc. also, you may want to quit resilio before doing so) and do the following:

open Streamslist (eg. from terminal with nano)
copy the three uncommented lines (something like kmduseritems, resourcefork and kmdfindercomment).
comment them with a # in front, so they're ignored.
save and close.

open Ignorelist
insert the three lines you just copied at the bottom, then save and close.

afaik this is the macos specific stuff like eg. color labels. to my understanding theoretically resilio should be able to manage these, but it just causes a whole bunch of different problems in my experience and also persistent crashes.

just for reference, in case some dev should want to look into this: resilio version is 2.6.4. what also might be a bit special in my case is, that i sync between external, ntfs-formated drives mounted through paragon ntfs on mac os.