Access Error on Yamaha RX-A2010 with bittorrent sync

Slyoldfox

Hi,

I'm just posting this to help people pinpoint that Bittorrent Sync and the Yamaha receivers (Net Radio and probably Pandora too) are not completely compatible.

When having Bittorrent Sync running on 1 computer, Net Radio works fine.

Whenever I start up a second instance of Bittorrent Sync on another computer (not even with the same sync folders) and on the same LAN, the Yamaha received "crashes" with an "Access Error" after a short while.

It drops back to the "Bookmarks" menu, which ends up empty. Other error messages include "No Content" on the screen of the Yamaha receiver. There is no other solution than to power off/on the Yamaha receiver.

I suppose this is more of a Yamaha firmware bug caused by some "special" packets generated by Bittorrent Sync which it can't handle?

If anyone from Bittorrent has a clue about what might be causing this, it would be much appreciated as at the moment it is useless on my LAN. If I get some more info I might also try and post a bug report at Yamaha support.

Kind regards,

Marc

• 1 month later...

I have just worked out that I have the same problem.

I have a Yamaha RX-V671 but only have BitTorrent Sync running on a single computer in the house. When BitTorrent Sync is running, net radio streaming on my Yamaha receiver drops out within 5 - 20 minutes. Once that happens, I can't choose a different station, and can't log onto the receiver either via a browser or from the Yamaha app on my phone. I can still ping the receiver ok, but have no access to it. Turning it off and on again resolves the issue - but only for another 5-20 mins.

If I turn off BitTorrent Sync on the computer, the receiver will stream net radio indefinitely. As soon as I turn it back on, the receiver will be unable to access the network again after about 5-20 mins.

Hopefully this will be something simple. I suppose we could add a rule to the Windows firewall to prevent traffic between the BitTorrent computer and the Yamaha receiver, but I would only want to block the relevant BitTorrent Sync traffic as the computer is providing my music to the receiver via DLNA.

Justin

Just an update on my comment above;

I have tried blocking connections from the BitTorrent Sync computer and the Yamaha receiver but this did not help at all. (I set this up in Windows firewall). It appears to be a network broadcast that is being sent out from the BitTorrent Sync client, and I haven't figured out a way to block that. (Apparently it's not possible to block network broadcasts without a third party firewall on the machine) I could set up a second VLAN for the amp, but didn't really want to go to that sort of effort!

I have also tried disabling the "Search LAN" option for all of the synced folders but this did not help.

As Marc has said above, there is obviously something in the BitTorrent Sync network broadcast that upsets the Yamaha devices. My amp is probably out of warranty, but I'll try to raise it as an issue with Yamaha anyway. Alternatively, perhaps the BitTorrent client is sending out something it shouldn't? I've done some searching and haven't seen any other issues with Yamaha receivers being knocked off the network due to LAN broadcasts, so maybe it is something that can be fixed on the Sync client?

Justin

• 2 months later...

I can confirm this bugg aswell.... I am having a Yamaha RX-810 receiver and after playing music from the net for about 5 minutes it will get "Access error". I can also add to this conversation that I will lose access to the receiver through its web control page or through the phone control apps. The yamaha receiver is lisening for some data package that bittorrent sync is sending out and will crash on trying to handle it.

My reciever has options for setting up mac filter access. So far my reciever have not crashed again after enabling the mac address filter on my receiver. Sadly I will not be able to access my receiver from any computer with bittorrent sync running - I will have to do with only access through the phone app.

EDIT. just after posting this. the receiver got access error again. ;(

I can confirm this bugg aswell.... I am having a Yamaha RX-810 receiver and after playing music from the net for about 5 minutes it will get "Access error". I can also add to this conversation that I will lose access to the receiver through its web control page or through the phone control apps. The yamaha receiver is lisening for some data package that bittorrent sync is sending out and will crash on trying to handle it.

My reciever has options for setting up mac filter access. So far my reciever have not crashed again after enabling the mac address filter on my receiver. Sadly I will not be able to access my receiver from any computer with bittorrent sync running - I will have to do with only access through the phone app.

EDIT. just after posting this. the receiver got access error again. ;(

After disable this option "Use NAT UPnP port mapping" in bittorrent sync will it not mess with my Yamaha reciever anymore. No "Access error" after this change. I will do with Manuall port forwarding.

• 2 months later...

I have been troubleshooting the same issue with my Yamaha RX-V671.  jimstein's solution to uncheck the "Use NAT UPnP port mapping" seems to have worked. I have also been trying to find the culprit network message in Wireshark, but have not yet been sucessful.

Hi all,

You can try looking for multicast packets over UDP port 1900, which is common for UPnP. Actually, BTSync does not do anything non-legitimate, just asking router to map some ports. I also suggest that updating your Yamaha firmware might help, as it looks like a bug in Yamaha device.

There is a chance that BTSync will manage to connect to another instance of BTSync without UPnP and even without direct port forwarding, but it hardly depends on your router and can be checked experimentally.