Sync going the wrong way ?

I'm having an issue with a read-only synch apparently going the wrong way.

Setup:

- My brother (in Canada) has set up a folder to be backed up, and sent me a one-time read-only secret to it

- I've set up a Sync folder on my home server with that secret

Problem:

We've done an initial sync a few weeks ago (that took several days). Since then nothing has happened. Suddenly yesterday my server showed activity, and looking into it my server shows stuff UPLOADING, while my brother shows stuff DOWNLOADING. That shouldn't happen in that direction with a read-only synch ?

I'm thinking he goofed and sent me a two-way secret ?

Questions:

0- the uploading (on my PC) and downloading (on his PC) status on the Transfert tab does mean that stuff is going from my PC to his, right ?

1- is there any way I can check that folder is set up to synch one way, not both ways ?

2- any other ideas ? A documented bug maybe ?

• 1 month later...

I am having same issue. I have one master host, linux based, where i upload pdf files, then i have multiple hosts with ready only secrets. Some are linux based servers to provide multiple data source, rest OSX, Windows and mobile clients. This being on 1.1.42 on the linux side, the clients whatever they have - based on the auto update features. I will be updating to the latest version (1.2.73) now, hoping this will not repeat. Secrets are 100% read only.

Are there more reports on read only sync going wrong way and is this something that has been addressed? thank you

I am having same issue. I have one master host, linux based, where i upload pdf files, then i have multiple hosts with ready only secrets. Some are linux based servers to provide multiple data source, rest OSX, Windows and mobile clients. This being on 1.1.42 on the linux side, the clients whatever they have - based on the auto update features. I will be updating to the latest version (1.2.73) now, hoping this will not repeat. Secrets are 100% read only.

Are there more reports on read only sync going wrong way and is this something that has been addressed? thank you

If you have one "master" host and several "read only" hosts, the "read only" hosts will also be able to transfer data between themselves to speed up overall dissemination of files from the master to all "read only" hosts:

Sync_Read_Only_Upload.png

..just a little illustrative graphic I cobbled together! :)

I'm having an issue with a read-only synch apparently going the wrong way.

Setup:

- My brother (in Canada) has set up a folder to be backed up, and sent me a one-time read-only secret to it

- I've set up a Sync folder on my home server with that secret

Problem:

We've done an initial sync a few weeks ago (that took several days). Since then nothing has happened. Suddenly yesterday my server showed activity, and looking into it my server shows stuff UPLOADING, while my brother shows stuff DOWNLOADING. That shouldn't happen in that direction with a read-only synch ?

I'm thinking he goofed and sent me a two-way secret ?

It is fairly easy to see if it's a read only key or not.

Questions:

0- the uploading (on my PC) and downloading (on his PC) status on the Transfert tab does mean that stuff is going from my PC to his, right ?

1- is there any way I can check that folder is set up to synch one way, not both ways ?

2- any other ideas ? A documented bug maybe ?