File Deletions Not Syncing

fukawi2

Well I submitted this to the support guys over a month ago but haven't got a solution, or even an update from them, so I'll post it here in case anyone else has any ideas...

I have an issue with one of my shared folders containing my music collection. There are currently 3 devices in the sync group: my home desktop, my laptop and my work desktop.

I deleted a lot of duplicate files on my work desktop (while my home desktop and laptop were turned off). I deleted a little over 5gb out of ~40gb.

Now that I have turned my home desktop and laptop back on, the webui says that they want to upload the "missing" 5.5gb, but at the same time they're not actually sending any data as best I can tell (the data to upload isn't decreasing, the upload speed is 0.0kb/s and a tcpdump on my gateway shows minimal traffic).

I would expect that the deletions would sync from my work desktop to my home desktop and laptop??

My sync group have been in this start for a months now; my laptop and home desktop saying they want to upload ~5gb of data, but not actually uploading anything, and the deleted files not being deleted on the home desktop/laptop.

It's possible that the files your removed were removed whilst still transferring data, and therefore Sync is still waiting for them to complete (which they never will if the source files have been deleted)

So, with Sync not running on any of your devices, check for and remove any .SyncPart, .SyncTemp and .!Sync files, then restart Sync.

If that fails to resolve the issue, I'd suggest you remove the folders from Sync on both devices, and then add them back to Sync - this will cause a re-index of the folders.

Thanks for the response GreatMarko. There are none of those part files:
/mnt/music $ find ./ -name .Sync\*./.SyncID./.SyncIgnore./.SyncArchive/mnt/music $ find ./ -name .\!Sync\*/mnt/music $ 

Re-creating the shares will definitely make Sync want to re-transfer those 5gb won't it? I don't have the connectivity to push 5gb just to delete it again.

I've had a reply from the support team with some other suggestions which I'll try and report back :)

It's possible that the files your removed were removed whilst still transferring data, and therefore Sync is still waiting for them to complete (which they never will if the source files have been deleted)

So, with Sync not running on any of your devices, check for and remove any .SyncPart, .SyncTemp and .!Sync files, then restart Sync.

If that fails to resolve the issue, I'd suggest you remove the folders from Sync on both devices, and then add them back to Sync - this will cause a re-index of the folders.

If this would describe btsync's actual behaviour, I'm considering this a major bug.

I see similar behavior: files that I deleted on my laptop, while BTSync has no connection to BTSync on my NAS (because client's office network firewall prohibits non-80/443 connections), won't be sync-deleted on the NAS when the connection is re-established while at home.

I also see loads of ".!Sync" files on my laptop of "incomplete" file downloads, while I have setup the sync connection to be readonly from laptop to NAS! Why is BTSync on my laptop downloading files from the NAS when the connection is readonly?

This is a backup scenario where I want files on my laptop mirrorred to a backup location on my NAS.

Another funny thing: files on my NAS (that have been synced by BTSync from my laptop) cannot be deleted through the Windows Explorer: "You require permission from Everyone to make changes to this folder"...

OK, I have my tail between my legs on this one; the machine where I did the deletions had a read-only key  :rolleyes:

To resolve:

1) Delete the shared folder from btsync

2) Manually remove the .Sync* files

3) Restart btsync

4) Use rsync with the --delete option to re-sync the 2 machines (ie, delete the files I want gone)

5) Re-add the shared folders.

6) Be quick to disable all the discovery methods (Search LAN, Use TrRacker server etc) so the index can complete without interruption.

7) Once the index is done on both machines, re-enable the peer discovery methods, give it 10 minutes and they're happy again :D