Sync over WAN VERY slow

shreez

I'm trying to sync a handful of folders from a linux machine over my WAN connection to my Windows machine here on my network.  I have a 1Gbps up connection from Linux and a 100Mbps connection down from my Windows machine.  I'm using the read-only key on the Windows machine, so the connection should be one-way.

The issue is that the fastest speed I'm seeing is about 1.5 MB/s.  My average speed is about 700kbps.  I'm not sure why I can't get any speeds faster than this.  I'm seeing messages like this in the debug log files:

[2013-10-24 12:42:12] Torrent test.mkv status:137 error:<NULL> meta:1 conns:1 io:18

Is there a way to force more conns?  One connection just doesn't seem like it will ever saturate my connection.  Any ideas of other things that can cause slow speed?

I don't see the cloud icon by my connection, I only see the arrows, which should mean it is a direct connection.

What version are you using?

Remember 1 MB/s does not equal 1 mb/s. 1 Byte (1 B) equals 8 bits (8 B). So the fastest you can transfer is 12.5 Megabytes or MB mnus any and all overhead, 

I noticed you said WAN (Wide Area Network) aka the internet, did you mean to say that or did you mean LAN (Local Area Network)?

My version is 1.1.82.

Yes, I'm taking into consideration the distinction between megabits and megabytes.  My connection is a 100 megaBIT connection.  I'm currently only getting around 10 megaBIT down.

I actually meant WAN.  The machine that I'm syncing from is in the UK, and I'm in the USA.

When I use an application like Bitkinex that allows me to use 50 concurrent connections, I can get every bit of 100 mb/s, so I know my connection is capable of it.  For some reason Btsync is just refusing to do it...

BT sync's transfer speed might have something to do with the implementation. It is closed source and therefore hard to tell how it can be changed/improved, unless the debs make configuration options available. Other causes for slow speed could be on the ISP side, blocking and/or slowing down of P2P traffic.

• 2 months later...

I too have this issue where it seems as though my speed is being limited by btsync and nothing else. It's a shame because I would like to be able to set my own speed limits, but it seems that the protocol they are using is not aggressive enough in grabbing bandwidth from the source and instead is meant for more consistent throughput at a lower speed. Kind of like an intelligent UTP connection that doesn't disturb the the connection or bog anything down.

This actually works okay, but should be optional. In some cases where I'm syncing movies, etc like in the advertisement clip on the front page I wouldn't want to wait 5 days for it to upload...would I? :)