where are the config files of the web UI stored?

numa

Hi,

I've just installed the most recent bittorrent sync server version (using the ubuntu package btsync). A default config file was created in /etc/btsync.

The web UI is running and started via upstart as root process. The --config parameter of the btsync process is directing to the /etc/btsync config file.

However, none of the setting changes, applied in the web UI, are reflected in the /etc/btsync config file.

Where is the web UI storing all the config data e.g. keys, shared folders, advanced settings like disabling LAN lookup?

Thanks for any hints,

Best Numa

P.S.: Bittorrent Sync Version 1.1.82; Ubuntu 12.04.02 LTS. Package used from tuxpoldo/btsync-deb repository

the .sync directory off of where you run the executable from

sudo find / -type d -iname ".sync"

returns no results for BTSync latest under Ubuntu. Weird. Something fishy.

I naively thought the webUI params were where I wrote them (e.g. in /etc/btsync/myuser.conf) but having changed the password in the webUI, that is indeed not reflected in that latter file.

On to my question: now that the WebUI has stored its settings in some undisclosed/unreadable location, is it ok to remove the {webui} section (or perhaps more specifically, the plaintext login/pass info) from that myuser.conf? :)

Where are you running your btsync executable from?

Not really, since files and directories that start with a period are hidden by default in ALL linux distros.

ls -la in the directory you run sync from.

Under Ubuntu find returns hidden files too ;) try it for yourself, it works. Still, can't find a .sync directory anywhere on the server.

Also, the only btsync executable is a daemon located at /usr/lib/btsync/, yet no .sync dir in there.

ls -al /usr/lib/btsync/total 3356drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    4096 Oct 27 04:16 .drwxr-xr-x 59 root root    4096 Oct 27 04:16 ..-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 3424952 Sep 20 12:50 btsync-daemon

The daemon runs under a system user, whose homedir has no .sync subdirectory - only a bunch of files (settings.dat etc. + databases corresponding to loaded secrets). Still can't figure where the webUI stores the new password, and whether it's possible - not to say advisable - to redact the older one in <btsyncinstance>.conf...

• 8 months later...
sudo find / -type d -iname ".sync"

returns no results for BTSync latest under Ubuntu. Weird. Something fishy.

I naively thought the webUI params were where I wrote them (e.g. in /etc/btsync/myuser.conf) but having changed the password in the webUI, that is indeed not reflected in that latter file.

On to my question: now that the WebUI has stored its settings in some undisclosed/unreadable location, is it ok to remove the {webui} section (or perhaps more specifically, the plaintext login/pass info) from that myuser.conf? :)

The "find" command requites that you tell it what to do with what it finds. You might use an option such as -exec to run the file.

In your case, you need to add 

-print

to the end of the command to make it show you the results.

Another useful addition is

-print | xargs ls -lad | less

and this will run the ls command on each filename that find prints as a long listing, not showing the contents of directories, and put everything through the pager called "less".