syncing at university

jchan94

I plan on using bittorrent sync to share media between my home computer and my computer at University. 

Most of the media is just photos, but some of the media is downloaded movies, etc.

Will I get in trouble sharing this media to myself essentially? This is using bittorent sync so I'm basically P2P to myself and not to others so the two computer's IP aren't public to be caught by a media company via DMCA.

• 2 years later...

I am not a lawyer.

I would suggest that this is not a question about BTSync itself, but the nature of the material in question.

If you choose to have illegal material in your possession, then that is up to you.

Whether you wish to transfer that material from home to university via http, ftp, usb memory stick, or indeed btsync, it does not change the nature of the material.

If you are sending your family photos from placeA to placeB, the mode of transport does not matter - the material is yours to do with as you wish. However, if the material is illegal for whatever reason, then it remains illegal.

I would suggest that you contact the copyright owner of said material and ask them if they have any restrictions on how their material (because it is theirs), may be transported.

In addition to @nuttall's points; I'd suggest also checking with your university's IT/network usage policies as they may frown upon or even ban/block P2P traffic. If so, you may be unable to use Sync within your university (unless you can convince your IT/network admins as to the nature of Sync and your reasons for wishing to use it within your university environment)