BitTorrent Sync cannot identify the destination folder.

hydrant

I have read a FAQ:

If you try to add a folder to BitTorrent Sync and you see this message, it's likely that you've already used the "secret" you're entering for one of the other folders you're currently syncing. It's not possible to sync two separate folders on the same device using the same "secret".

But this is not my case...

I have directory containing about 60,000 files. Which according to FAQ should not be a problem. It is syncing fine, but GUI shows error BitTorrent Sync cannot identify the destination folder.

Nevertheless directory is syncing fine, or at least I haven't found any problem. If I change a secret for a while, and than set back the old one, everything is correct again. But the "error message" appears in 24 hours again...

Any queses? I think this might be a bug. Is there any log file I can check?

I am using ubuntu linux, The machine is running 24/7. Btsync Version 1.1.82 ( up to date ).

Can this be caused because of rescans of folders? It can take more than 10min but, according to FAQ rescans happens every 10mins by default. I would like to turn off this setting (or set 24hours) because it is too often. But I haven't found the option in GUI. Is it deprecated?

Thanks for suggestions

hydrant

post-36004-0-76403000-1383053142_thumb.p

Sorry for the delay. I was expecting email, but now I found that I need to explicitly follow the thread I started to receive emails.

Thanks for the replay, I just verify the points 2 and 3. Non of it was the problem.

After another hour of wondering around, I found it and now I feel stupid. There is a "maintenance script" running every night on the server which didn't recognize .SyncID file and moved it to another folder...

Solution was so simple but so difficult to find this time... I had no idea about that script... 

Thanks for your time. I am not sure if this thread can be useful to somebody else... So if you consider it useless please delete it.

• 3 months later...

After another hour of wondering around, I found it and now I feel stupid. There is a "maintenance script" running every night on the server which didn't recognize .SyncID file and moved it to another folder...

Solution was so simple but so difficult to find this time... I had no idea about that script... 

Big thanx - it helped!

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I am getting the same issue with a Sync 2.0 update.

I removed 1.4 folders, then readd in my iMac and did the same in my Synology NAS DS214 using the link from my iMac instance in the same folder.

Now I get this message. I were previously using SynoCommunity 1.4 version and BtSync was run with the sc-btsync user that were in the sc-btync group.

Now I don't know which user is used, and don't see a group neither. I opened the package and can't find this information in the scripts.

My folders on my NAS are in /volume1/Sync and I don't know who need persmissions (users group and admin already have).

I tried to use ssh on my NAS to discover users or group but didn't success.

Any idea that could help me ?

Alternatively, any idea how I could reset the ownership or something ?

Tell me if you need more information.

I am getting the same issue with a Sync 2.0 update.

I removed 1.4 folders, then readd in my iMac and did the same in my Synology NAS DS214 using the link from my iMac instance in the same folder.

Now I get this message. I were previously using SynoCommunity 1.4 version and BtSync was run with the sc-btsync user that were in the sc-btync group.

Now I don't know which user is used, and don't see a group neither. I opened the package and can't find this information in the scripts.

My folders on my NAS are in /volume1/Sync and I don't know who need persmissions (users group and admin already have).

I tried to use ssh on my NAS to discover users or group but didn't success.

Any idea that could help me ?

Alternatively, any idea how I could reset the ownership or something ?

Tell me if you need more information.

I am getting "Cannot Identify the desitnation folder" after removing and reading existing folders to my sync 2.0 raspberry pi.  I tried removing the .sync folder and re adding first.  Still same issue on my main "server" end.

I just ran into this error ("BitTorrent Sync cannot identify the destination folder") myself, which is pretty non-descriptive/unhelpful for the user. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the folder, but it would not connect. Specifically, the connect dialog box displayed the message "foldererror110" and clicking "ok" wouldn't do anything.

I then tried removing the folder in BT Sync (but not deleting the original files) and re-adding it. It told me that the folder is owned by another Sync instance and asked if I wanted to reset ownership. I chose yes, but then the program wouldn't sync the folder - it showed 0 of 0 peers and 0% progress.

I closed and reopened the program, at which point the 0% progress message went away, and it correctly showed 0 of 1 peers. My connected (Android) device, however, then showed unknown error 110. I disconnected the share on my Android device, and it loaded the new share, but automatically created a duplicate folder for it.

I exited BT Sync on my Android, moved the .sync folder from the new/duplicate folder to the old one with the data, reopened the app, disconnected the share, and tried to reconnect it. In the connect dialog, I entered the existing folder (which has the data and .sync). When I tap "Add Folder," however, the share remains disconnected and there is no message/feedback from the app.

I next tried exiting the app, deleting the .sync folder from the shared directory on my Android, reopening the app, and reconnecting the share using the existing directory, as above. This time, however, instead of connecting the existing share, the app created a NEW share, which then started syncing to my other devices.

At this point, I'm giving up. This is beyond messed up. Why does the Android app handle folders with existing/seeded data so badly? Why doesn't BT Sync have a process to handle a corrupted folder ("cannot identify")? What's going on with all the other issues?

Just an addition to the issues: when I remove the share completely, the removal is not synced to other devices. I have to remove it separately on every device.

When I try to add the share afresh (having removed it in the GUI and deleted the remaining .sync directory), it always shows up as before, with 0 of 0 peers and 0% progress. When I restart the application, it then shows up as containing 0 files, 0KB.

I ended up moving the entire folder to a different location and adding it as a new share again. This time, BT Sync seems to recognize the data in it and is showing the correct number of files, size, and is syncing to other devices. I guess there must be some sort of cache in the application that still had the location of the old share and wouldn't remove it or overwrite it?

Just an addition to the issues: when I remove the share completely, the removal is not synced to other devices. I have to remove it separately on every device.

When I try to add the share afresh (having removed it in the GUI and deleted the remaining .sync directory), it always shows up as before, with 0 of 0 peers and 0% progress. When I restart the application, it then shows up as containing 0 files, 0KB.

I ended up moving the entire folder to a different location and adding it as a new share again. This time, BT Sync seems to recognize the data in it and is showing the correct number of files, size, and is syncing to other devices. I guess there must be some sort of cache in the application that still had the location of the old share and wouldn't remove it or overwrite it?

Solutions to all your issues are in this thread http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/34455-sync-20-is-horribly-broken-on-windows-and-android-multiple-bugs-within/ Join the discussion there if you're still having problems afterwards.

Solutions to all your issues are in this thread http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/34455-sync-20-is-horribly-broken-on-windows-and-android-multiple-bugs-within/ Join the discussion there if you're still having problems afterwards.

Thanks for the pointer. Glad to hear that the issue with connecting existing folders on Android will be fixed soon. Most of the issues I listed are not dealt with in your thread, however, including the main/original issue ("cannot identify the destination folder" - on desktop, not Android).

• 3 weeks later...

Same here mine are desktop related not android.

Thanks for the pointer. Glad to hear that the issue with connecting existing folders on Android will be fixed soon. Most of the issues I listed are not dealt with in your thread, however, including the main/original issue ("cannot identify the destination folder" - on desktop, not Android).