Eternal re-indexing when using a NAS, what is the best solution? NAS/USB/other storage?

bmattis

Hi,

first of all I want to say that I'm really happy to have found BitTorrent Sync. Wonderful stuff!  :)

Now I'm trying to set it up in the best way, and my primary question is about re-indexing.

As a little server I have a netbook running BTsync, and a NAS storing all my synced files. The NAS is working almost all the time, since BTsync says "indexing...". I assume this takes much longer time on a NAS than it would on a local drive. (I know that I can change the rescan interval, but it still takes a lot of time when the indexing is running.) I find the eternal chewing on the NAS both annoying and worrying. So, here come two alternatives:

- If I would use a locally connected USB drive instead of the NAS, would the indexing be much less of an annoyance? Would BTsync even know about the file changes without having to rescan the files?

(Dropbox seems to know it. And, as a comparison, the AeroFS guys say that they don't support NAS syncing since the system then doesn't get all the file-change information.)

- If I would use a NAS running BTsync instead, like the WD MyBook Live, would it have to re-index my files as much? Or would it work more silently and well-behaving?

Speaking of rescan intervals and file-change information in the system - are both always used by BTsync? To put it in another way: if I increase the rescan interval, will BTsync always still react to changes done between rescannings... or does it depend on where the files are stored?

Explanations & recommendations very welcome!  :)

Speaking of rescan intervals and file-change information in the system - are both always used by BTsync? To put it in another way: if I increase the rescan interval, will BTsync always still react to changes done between rescannings... or does it depend on where the files are stored?

Sync uses the interval to make sure no file changes slipped its usual mechanism of detecting them. Usually it uses the capabilities of the OS to detect file changes as far as I know. This works really stable.

I have set the interval to one week and it works like a charm since the last update of Sync.

I suggest you just give a highe interval a try.

My devices show exact same behaviour, so there is no difference between USB drives, internal HDDs or a NAS.

So long

Doc Green