Crude python script to create your own key

mnault000

#!/usr/bin/python

# SHA1 encoder

import hashlib

import os

from base64 import b32encode

secret_to_generate = raw_input('Please Enter the name to encode for the secret: ')

hash_object = hashlib.sha1(secret_to_generate)

hex_dig = hash_object.hexdigest()

base32_dig = b32encode(hex_dig)

print 'This is the HEX Digest:              ', hex_dig

print 'This is your secret to share:  ', base32_dig

Note: I find this useful as I created many folders and only display the printed list on the web. From the folder name, I already know a key, so I just create the new secret remotely, assign it to my folder, and I can download whatever I need from home.

Hi, sorry I was a bit vague.

Here's what I mean. At home, I can host with bit torrent sync through my LAN a folder in which I can put stuff I will eventually need to download from somewhere around the world. A big advantage: the web server displaying the folder link does not host the actual data.

So here goes... I need to store a WinXP ISO with all related gizmos in a folder. I create the folder like WinXP_BTSync_what_is the_name_of_my_dog.

Once my folder is created with that name, I go to BTSync, assign that folder to sync, but instead of using the "generate secret", I use my own script in my first post, with the key --> WinXP_BTSync_Rex

So.. I'm in Europe, need to get the WinXP ISO.. I first install Bit torrent sync, then I browse my website to see which folder I need to sync (site only shows the folder name and content names). I will generate the secret from my dog's name (REX), and then the folder will sync.

I'm  working on having the ability to generate that secret directly from my website.

• 4 weeks later...

This is what I Mean.. I created a folder named "demo_MY_DOG_NAME" for which I obviously know my dog's name.

So I'm somewhere on a computer and I need something at home in the above folder.

Go to my website (url below), and insert the string "demo_REX" (no quotes!!), and copy-paste the resulting secret into your bittorrent application for the folder you will sync with.

I like this approach for these reasons:

1) the data is not on the server hosting that url

2) I can prepare a multitude of directories with different password, and get anything encrypted.

(try my demo here --> http://redirect.imperialauriga.com:8011/base_btsync_portal/index.php )

For this demo, you will sync with a simple text file (.txt) I made for this proof-of-concept.

• 4 weeks later...

You're converting the hex to base32 'incorrectly'. Simply if you're taking the bits from the hex and reencoding them as base32 it should be 4/5 the size of the hex. It looks like you're taking the hex as ASCII bytes and encoding that instead.

'Correctly' ..

Start with the string "cats" 

The SHA1 in hex is "8ebf601f8b808c32b8d2fb570c2e0fbdbb388add"

The SHA1 in base32 is "R27WAH4LQCGDFOGS7NLQYLQPXW5TRCW5"

Put that into BTSync and get ... cats.

NB: http://www.debath.co.uk/MakeAKey.htm ALL in javascript.

• 3 months later...

#!/usr/bin/python

# SHA1 encoder
import hashlib
import os
from base64 import b32encode

secret_to_generate = raw_input('Please Enter the name to encode for the secret: ')
hash_object = hashlib.sha1(secret_to_generate)

print 'This is the HEX Digest:              ', hex_dig
print 'This is your secret to share:  ', base32_dig

Note: I find this useful as I created many folders and only display the printed list on the web. From the folder name, I already know a key, so I just create the new secret remotely, assign it to my folder, and I can download whatever I need from home.

Any possible way of getting this in the form of a PHP script.

I tried wrapping my head around it, but i cant get RO keys to match from RW keys.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi.. I was away for a bit. What do you mean security issue? there are none if done right.

if you create a folder, and insert in the name a clue as to what the key to encrypt that folder will be, then create the secret with that key. so in the future, just looking at the folder name will reveal that clue only to you.

I've had this for months, working flawlessly.

• 1 month later...