Latest 1.2.82 Build

vadimt

feedback on Android 1.2.10: I'm getting the impression of substantially better performance when on Auto Sleep. The app seems to pick up changes much more reliably and quickly. With previous Auto Sleep versions, it seemed like it wouldn't sync changes within my 15 minute wake-up period, and the time required to finally sync was just unsure. These are just impressions since I haven't systematically collected any data, but I've checked up on a few syncs with my phone on 3G, not WiFi, and the phone both propagated its changes and synced changes from other devices with almost no delay, even while Auto Sleep was on.

But I could really use some suggestions with my Linux Synology NAS failing to connect beyond itself in any way since any 1.2.x version--the process runs normally but no sync clients are visible, it's not visible to any other client, and the webUI is unreachable. See http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/24791-linux-1267-no-errors-but-no-sync-or-webui/

EDIT: I had a rare switch to WiFi today, and it lost sync. Once I went back to 3G and forced a sync by foregrounding the app, it stayed in sync with 3G even as I moved to many different locations. It's possible that my 3G connection changed DHCP ip addresses when I went to other locations, but I didn't check that. But it looks like the problem of maintaining sync when changing networks still remains.

feedback on Android 1.2.10: I'm getting the impression of substantially better performance when on Auto Sleep.

1.2.10?  The google play store still has 1.2.9, with which I'm having the same kind of auto sleep behavior you were describing (30 minute sleep, but changes taking sometimes several hours to sync).  That is good news -- I'll definitely be happy to get the new version.

1.2.10?  The google play store still has 1.2.9, with which I'm having the same kind of auto sleep behavior you were describing (30 minute sleep, but changes taking sometimes several hours to sync).  That is good news -- I'll definitely be happy to get the new version.

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/24856-problem-with-the-mobile-client/ says:

Thanks Jimmy -- you're a saint.  I only got my first Android phone a few months ago, and it never occurred to me that it was even possible to install apps from other than the play store without rooting my phone.  Unfortunately, I seem to be still having the same problem: when I add a file on the phone, my laptop and Raspberry PI show it added and trying to download, but they don't transfer any data.  Eventually it will show up, in a few hours, at least that is the way it has been.  I'm running 1.2.67 because the changelong for 1.2.68 didn't seem to indicate anything related to this got fixed.  I guess I'll upgrade them anyway just to see if it makes a difference.  And I'll keep my eye on their download link for Android updates instead of waiting for the play store.

I'm running 1.2.67 because the changelong for 1.2.68 didn't seem to indicate anything related to this got fixed.  I guess I'll upgrade them anyway just to see if it makes a difference.

Nope -- no difference:  when I take a picture with my phone, the laptop shows a file added and more data to be downloaded from the phone, but no data comes.  When I added a file on the laptop (different share), it synced to the Pi right away, and to the phone a couple of minutes later, but the phone still has not updated the pictures I took to the laptop.  It definitely seems to be an issue with the phone pushing data to the other clients.  Hopefully the logs I sent them the other day will tell them something. 

Is there any way to collect debug logs from the Android to send them?  I don't see anything in the app, and they only describe how to do this with Windows/Linux/IOS, but I expect they need to see what is going on on my phone...

Is there any way to collect debug logs from the Android to send them?  I don't see anything in the app, and they only describe how to do this with Windows/Linux/IOS, but I expect they need to see what is going on on my phone...

Settings -> Found an Issue? -> Send Feedback, will include logs with your feedback

1.2.71 is still a little buggy. It never stops indexing the folders although you  don't see any history events to that behavior. Furthermore the CPU usage in idle is between 10-15%. (see attached file). My OS is Windows 8.1

Could you please send us debug log from your Windows? 

You need: 

Step 1. Turn on Debug Logging. 

click on BitTorrent Sync icon and select "Enable Debug Logging". 

Step 2. Reproduce issue: start indexing. 

Please let Sync collect logs for at least 15 minutes to get enough information. 

Step 3. Attach log files to your email and send to syncapp@bittorrent.com. 

%APPDATA%\BitTorrent Sync\sync.log 

Thanks!

Hi,

Since 1.2.68, I have constantly a 60-90% CPU usage, even when everything is indexed.

I had no problem under 1.1.82.

I'm running it on my Synology DS413j using the synocommunity package.

I would like to send a log but I didn't really understand the procedure with the debug.txt file, what do I type in that and do I put it in the same folder my sync.conf file is ?

Hi,

Since 1.2.68, I have constantly a 60-90% CPU usage, even when everything is indexed.

I had no problem under 1.1.82.

I'm running it on my Synology DS413j using the synocommunity package.

I would like to send a log but I didn't really understand the procedure with the debug.txt file, what do I type in that and do I put it in the same folder my sync.conf file is ?

How many GB are you syncing? My Synology's CPU usage goes up the more data there is to sync. 15GB is giving me about 10% CPU usage.

Here's what I do to debug my manual installation of btsync:

1. Edit the debug.txt file and put in four of the letter 'F' like so: FFFF
  2. Save that file in the bin/.sync directory, not in conf.

I don't know about the syncommunity pacakge, though.

I'm syncing about 100 GB but I don't think that's the problem here, since my CPU usage was very low with 1.1.82.

Synocommunity package installation uses different folders (/usr/local/btsync/bin for the binary and /usr/local/btsync/var for the other files), and I don't see debug.txt in either one of those, where should I put it?

BTW, how did you manage to run btsync on your Synology without synocommunity package? You just downloaded and ran the ARM binary?

I recommend you give forum search a try. :D

100GB would raise my CPU usage unacceptably high. I posted some stats on this forum somewhere.

As I said, try saving the debug.txt file in the bin/.sync directory. In your case, I would guess that's /usr/local/btsync/bin/.sync

For manual installation, see this thread, the 12th post down:

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/21754-bittorent-sync-and-nas-ds213/

where stallemanden said:

I just took some time putting together a short guid as to get btsync working on a synology nas

PDF: http://goo.gl/0o1Gh
RO Secret: B6Q32ZGALBGRDFPLM2UE33A6NPKL6JNWC

Thanks.

Didn't get the debug log to work, I just have a standard log. However I saw in another thread that logging might be broken in this version.

Anyway, switched back to 1.1.82 and CPU usage is fine now.

EDIT : ok so everything is fine now!

I simply deleted all of my synced folders, stopped BTSync, upgraded to 1.2.71, then started it and added all my synced folders. The indexing process took about 1h, and now the btsync process is idle. :)

Thanks.

Didn't get the debug log to work, I just have a standard log. However I saw in another thread that logging might be broken in this version.

Anyway, switched back to 1.1.82 and CPU usage is fine now.

EDIT : ok so everything is fine now!

I simply deleted all of my synced folders, stopped BTSync, upgraded to 1.2.71, then started it and added all my synced folders. The indexing process took about 1h, and now the btsync process is idle. :)

spiderben25:  Sorry I didn't see your posts earlier or I would have suggested this.  I had similar problems going from 1.1.X -> 1.2.X on my Raspberry PI: it got stuck indexing and wouldn't stop.  After deleting the sync folders (keeping the data!) cleaning out all .Sync files from those directories, and then adding them again, it synced in about 2 hours and has been running fine since.

I think there was something wonky about the 1.1->1.2 upgrade.  I haven't had that problem upgrading between 1.2.X versions.

I'm glad you got it straightened out.

We did this for a few reasons actually. First, we wanted to try to keep the user experience as simple as possible and we thought that adding this might be confusing for many new users. Second, there was a technical reason also. When we update our releases, we typically add all the features across platforms (for feature consistency) - we found that adding Encrypted Peers to the mobile apps didn't produce the best experience so until we find a better way to do it, we elected to leave it out... for now. Its definitely something we plan to add but we're trying to do it in a effective way. 

Hope that answers your question. 

I offer you add feature in preference like "Extended mode" which will add this feature in main UI. Hope you will add it in near builds.

1.2.71 is still a little buggy. It never stops indexing the folders although you  don't see any history events to that behavior. Furthermore the CPU usage in idle is between 10-15%. (see attached file). My OS is Windows 8.1

Please try the latest 1.2.73 version (http://syncapp.bittorrent.com/1.2.73/

Infinite indexing should be fixed in this build. 

Thanks!

I just want to get a little bit of clarification on what "Restore modified files in read-only folder" means.

Let's say I have two servers: server1 and server2.  server1 has the folder /server1/sync, which is indexed by btsync.  It gives server2 a read-only secret, and server2 syncs to /server2/sync.  Lastly, let's say the sync folder contains a file test.txt.

Now, does this mean, if /server2/sync/test.txt gets deleted, it will be regenerated from /server1/sync/test.txt?

Thanks!

btsyncfof, you're right.

And what about the opposite situation: when file gets deleted from server1. Does this deletion propagate to server2 as well? What about other files which happen to exist in the synced directory on server2 (read-only) node but not on the originating (server1) node? Will it delete everything it finds there which doesn't have its counterpart on server1?