BitTorrent Sync messes up a network printer.

pinenut

I have Windows 7 with a HP Photosmart network printer installed.

As soon as BitTorrent Sync was installed, the printer got disconnected and the printer control panel got messed up.

Uninstalling the Sync solved the problem.

I just wanted to let you know this problem. I hope you will rectify this situation.

• 1 month later...

I have the same exact problem.

- Version 1.2.82 Synology distro of bitsync     Just tested and it's the windows release that does it

- HP B210 printer

Everything is set to static so no IP conflicts.  Anyone have any idea what the deal is?

Edited by synsoc

• 4 weeks later...

As soon as I installed Bittorrent Sync 1.8.2 my HP OfficeJet 6310 crashed with a "Reset Power" error message. This HP forum post suggested disabling uPNP on the printer, which solved the issue. It is notable that I was running Bittorrent Sync 1.8.2 on both my laptop and media center PC (both running Ubuntu) and didn't have this issue.

As soon as I installed Bittorrent Sync 1.8.2 my HP OfficeJet 6310 crashed with a "Reset Power" error message. This HP forum post suggested disabling uPNP on the printer, which solved the issue. It is notable that I was running Bittorrent Sync 1.8.2 on both my laptop and media center PC (both running Ubuntu) and didn't have this issue.

Firstly, I assume you mean Sync 1.2.82?

Secondly, it sounds like either a problem with your router, possibly with a NAT routing/conflict within the router itself, or with the printer's implementation of UPnP.

However, you could also disable UPnP in Sync by unticking the "Use NAT UPnP port mapping" setting in the "Preferences" tab, and/or specifying a different "Listening Port" both of which should help, if it's imperative that your printer remains with UPnP enabled.

There are some UPnP implementations that are buggy. You can also disable UPnP in btsync, should fix the issue also.

Firstly, I assume you mean Sync 1.2.82?

Yes, you are correct. Thank you for pointing out the typo.

There are some UPnP implementations that are buggy. You can also disable UPnP in btsync, should fix the issue also.

I ended up disabling UPnP on my printer since it is the only device on my network having problems.

What I found curious is that I was using both btsync (server) and btsync-user (user-spawned instance) of Sync on my Linux machines for a few days without any problems. Within one minute of installing Sync on a windows machine the printer crashed. When I took the windows machine off the network, the printer was fine. As soon as the windows machine was reconnected, the printer crashed again. Thus the printer crashing appears to be correlated with Sync on Windows. I wonder if this means the UPnP implementation for Sync is different on different OSes.

What I found curious is that I was using both btsync (server) and btsync-user (user-spawned instance) of Sync on my Linux machines for a few days without any problems. Within one minute of installing Sync on a windows machine the printer crashed. When I took the windows machine off the network, the printer was fine. As soon as the windows machine was reconnected, the printer crashed again. Thus the printer crashing appears to be correlated with Sync on Windows. I wonder if this means the UPnP implementation for Sync is different on different OSes.

Some information for your convenience:

1. The Debian/Ubuntu packages for Server usage (btsync) do not enable UPnP by default when creating the default instance (obviously on user generated config files, it's up to you). If you want to enable it, you have to execute dpkg-reconfigure btsync and enable it when asked. 
  2. The Debian(Ubuntu packages for Desktop usage (btsync-user) enable UPnP by default for every user since this is the common home user scenario. If you do not want so, you have to modify manually the configuration file template or create a user defined configuration file.

• 4 years later...