Sync new files only?

shimsim

I have 2 large media collections (movies, music, etc) at different locations. Before setting up the second location, I took an exact copy of all the files. Now that I have setup BTSync to sync the 2 locations, it seems to be re-copying everything again (lots of gigs, which is going to take too long).

Is there any way to make sure BTSync ignores files that already exist and just starts to sync new files ?

Thanks

It's likely that during your file copy process, the original timestamps of your files were not preserved.

Therefore the two sets of "exact files" won't have appeared "identical" to Sync if they had different timestamps.

"Identical" files to Sync have the same name, same size, and same timestamp. If one or more of these differs, Sync won't see files as "identical".

So, if you're copying files from one device to another before adding them to Sync you need to make sure that their timestamps are preserved upon copy

Thank you. Is BTSync looking at the creation date or last modified date when evaluating the file?

Last modified.

it seems to be re-copying everything again (lots of gigs, which is going to take too long).

Based on what? Sync will actually show a transfer arrow until the indexing completes and is compared.

The files on both ends are hashed in semi-standard bittorrent fashion (segmented hashing with segment size based on total file size) and if the hashes are identical on both sides, the files won't actually be transferred.