j2b

What's different in BTSync generated QR code?

I was trying to generate QR code of BTSync folder with online QR generator. Copied secret key, pasted it in any QR Generator tool, but this QR code does not work on mobile devices - the code is not recognized.

Initial idea was to build web app to create folders on server, and generate QRs for such.

Try this:

btsync://<SECRET>?n=<NAME>

I was trying to generate QR code of BTSync folder with online QR generator. Copied secret key, pasted it in any QR Generator tool, but this QR code does not work on mobile devices - the code is not recognized.

Initial idea was to build web app to create folders on server, and generate QRs for such.

Thank you jfitie for your response. What's <NAME> parameter? Folder name? If it's several names with space between, should "" be used? or it's better to replace dash with %40 code?

Hi j2b,

You succeeded with QR code generation with BTSync? And would you like to share which online QR code generator you were using? I'm having one but there are setting limitations so I've been looking for a better one for myself. Thank you!

Makaveil

Hi, Makaveil!

Unfortunately not. I had to drop BTsync experiment in favour of urgent day to day tasks and priorities, but this is not "dead" anyway, and in some time I'll return back to testing, and hopefully post my findings here. At that time I was relying on BTsync community activity, hoping, that I was not the only one, trying to achieve this, but that didn't happen. But here are my assumptions and possible steps, what I'd do, returning back to this project:

• As "jfitie" advised, <NAME> parameter might be folder name
  • This URL has to be hashed/encrypted, before posting to QR generation (I assume, this was my pitfall, which I just missed at that time, but I might be wrong)
  • My first tasks of solving this out, would be BTsync instance installation on Ubuntu server, and analysis of QR generation functions implemented there. This will shed the light very much, as it just works.

I do have to say, that I'm booked for another month, so there might not be any news from me on this point. But other community members are very welcome to share their achievements, if any at this point, if I do not manage to do this earlier.

It is exactly as jiftie said. I use a QR code desktop programme to create links for my mobile devices, as I am using custom generated keys. I created longer keys to be independent of the BTsync secret generating process and to increase security (not that anyone would ever be able to guess the normal keys, but some of us like their tin foil hats).

No need to hash the secret or anything, just copy it from the desktop/webui/config file and thats it. If you want to have spaces in your share's name, you do not need to use ". I am not sure about online QR code generators, but I guess you can play around with the string. The <NAME> is the one that the client uses as the default folder name on your device, which you can edit anyways before accepting/setting up a share.

Guys, I feel really stupid now. :) Nils, thank you for sharing this. I just created folder in btsync linux instance with BTsync generated key, and pasted it in the above mentioned format to http://goqr.me/

Format: btsync://longsecretkeyxxx?n=foldernameonserver

And it just worked. I could scan it with iPhone. As it was quite a long time ago, since I posted my initial question, I could not remember, what I was doing differently then. The only thing I can recall, is, I was not using protocol and ?n=foldername parts in a code - just pure code. Yet a couple of another events happened since - btsync updates on iOS, which might happen to correct some bugs.

Anyway, this is working, and correct URL should be passed to QR generator. Thank you for participation in this discussion and sharing these items.