Current state of the API

Garet

First off, I'm ecstatic to finally have an API for this awesome app! But my question now is, what are we able to do with the current API? Going through the docs, it appears we only have the ability to list files and manage folders. This is great, but doesn't provide a lot of options for developers to really utilize the power of sync. Are you planning on adding the ability to add/remove files using the API?

I ask, because I'd like to harness the power of sync to allow users of my apps to sync their preferences across multiple platforms. Many apps include dropbox and google drive support to sync. But I'd like to incorporate BTSync into my apps, as I think it's far superior to the other services.

Is this going to be possible in the future?

Also, will it be possible to use the API on iOS/Android devices?

It would be nice if you could add a file to a folder that you don't actually have synced locally... just push a file into remote syncs using the provided secret... just a thought.

This is pretty much what I was originally trying to get at. But then, isn't that the point of the selective sync? Or is that only for selectively downloading, not uploading?

Not really selective sync, while it would work, what I was getting at was more like POSTing a file to a secret.

Use case would be something like a Logging system, or an automated offsite backup system, where the file being synced is dynamically generated or just stored temporarily, then pushed offsite to a BTSYnc, and never actually stored on the server it was created on.

I actually plan on implementing something for both of those use cases, but to do it currently I would have to leave the files stored in a sync folder, because even if I use selective sync there's no guarantee that the clients have downloaded the file yet... which also shows the obvious draw back to the whole idea, if theres a method that pushes a file, there may not be a recipient and therefore the file would vanish into the ether...

Not really selective sync, while it would work, what I was getting at was more like POSTing a file to a secret.

Use case would be something like a Logging system, or an automated offsite backup system, where the file being synced is dynamically generated or just stored temporarily, then pushed offsite to a BTSYnc, and never actually stored on the server it was created on.

I actually plan on implementing something for both of those use cases, but to do it currently I would have to leave the files stored in a sync folder, because even if I use selective sync there's no guarantee that the clients have downloaded the file yet... which also shows the obvious draw back to the whole idea, if theres a method that pushes a file, there may not be a recipient and therefore the file would vanish into the ether...

In order to make sure the file wouldn't vanish, I imagine you could use the API to check for clients. You could also monitor the transfer rate to see if it's transferring/transferred the file. This might not be the best solution, but I think it may be a solution.