How to setup our own tracker server + relay server

samxiao

Hello all,

I'm testing out BT Sync in a corporate environment for efficiently transfer files across different DC.

I found that untick "use_relay_server" and "use_tracker" doesn't work even for our VLAN setup.

Is it possible to setup our own tracker and relay server? If yes, how do we do that?  We choose BT Sync because we believe it's truly private, but it seems that we still need to connect with upstream tracker and relay server to get this working.

Is it possible to setup our own tracker and relay server? If yes, how do we do that? 

It's not currently possible to run your own relay/tracker servers for Sync as such - this will likely be a feature that's implemented in the "business grade"/"enterprise" edition of Sync.

You can, however, use the pre-defined hosts options within Sync to list the IPs of your known devices to allow connection without needing to go via Sync's relay/tracker servers. However, this assumes that direct connections can be established between the IPs you list. If direct connections cannot be established, Sync will fallback to using its relay/tracker to establish connections.

Essentially, if all your devices are on the same subnet of the same LAN, you should be able to establish direct connections between them. If you can't, it's likely an issue with your router/firewall setup

Under "known_hosts", can you put the range of the IP?

Like 192.168.1.1/24 ?

It's not currently possible to run your own relay/tracker servers for Sync as such - this will likely be a feature that's implemented in the "business grade"/"enterprise" edition of Sync.

You can, however, use the pre-defined hosts options within Sync to list the IPs of your known devices to allow connection without needing to go via Sync's relay/tracker servers. However, this assumes that direct connections can be established between the IPs you list. If direct connections cannot be established, Sync will fallback to using its relay/tracker to establish connections.

Essentially, if all your devices are on the same subnet of the same LAN, you should be able to establish direct connections between them. If you can't, it's likely an issue with your router/firewall setup

Under "known_hosts", can you put the range of the IP?

Like 192.168.1.1/24 ?

I don't believe so - you have to list individual IP addresses (or hostnames), rather than IP ranges

To make this a whole lot easier just use this:

http://www.ipaddresslocation.org/ip-address-ranges.php

I tested it out with a IP block I own and it seemed to work fine. Just put 192.168.1.1/24 (for instance) and it will spit out a list of all the IPs. Copy that and either use a script that will add the ports to the end or enter them by hand and then just paste that list to all your VMs. I'm in a similar boat to you (as far as your goal to have a custom tracker/relay), but at the moment this seems like the best way to go about it. For the time being it might actually be more secure this way because all the nodes will only be able to connect to the specified IPs (of course that is if they are all accessable to eachother as GreatMarko mentioned.

I think we should at least implement with an IP range.  I can't expect hardcoding all static IPs. 

By the way, I use `tcpdump` to sniff it and found that the default port is 44444, which my "btsync mac" version is probably not listening to that. 

Can we make this better in the next release?

:-)

To make this a whole lot easier just use this:

http://www.ipaddresslocation.org/ip-address-ranges.php

I tested it out with a IP block I own and it seemed to work fine. Just put 192.168.1.1/24 (for instance) and it will spit out a list of all the IPs. Copy that and either use a script that will add the ports to the end or enter them by hand and then just paste that list to all your VMs. I'm in a similar boat to you (as far as your goal to have a custom tracker/relay), but at the moment this seems like the best way to go about it. For the time being it might actually be more secure this way because all the nodes will only be able to connect to the specified IPs (of course that is if they are all accessable to eachother as GreatMarko mentioned.