Recover files from SyncArchive on an Encrypted Remote?

erenoglu

Using the API, I created an encrypted read-only remote. It has 70gb files in it and seems to work OK. (1.2.73).

Now, I deleted some files from the source and they should have gone to the SyncArchive on the remote. Since they are all encrypted, I can't see them. 

Is there a way to download (to recover) those deleted files from the SyncArchive of the encrypted remote, without downloading all 70gb files (hoping that the SyncArchive will also come with it), and hopefully won't come at the last bits of the 70gb?

the SyncArchive is a folder, which you should find within the root of your shared folder as .SyncArchive. In this folder you should be able to see the date the files were moved there and with your BTsync history, you could find the exact time and select the files in the .SyncArchive which correspond to that time.

ATM there is no method of decrypting BTsync encrypted data. 

I made a test case today. I added a folder on my PC, synced it to my VPS with the encrypted key. All went well. I deleted some files from the PC, thus I assume they went to the SyncArchive folder on the vps. But as everything is encrypted in the VPS, it's not possible to easily find any trace of this.

Then, I removed that sync folder from BtSync on my PC. I saw that VPS btsync disconnected from it. This shall leave the vps btsync with the folder & related SyncArchive folder as is.

I then added this folder back into my PC using RW key. This time, everything synced back from the vps to the PC, unfortunately, except the SyncArchive folder. It was not synced. 

This shows me that, "backup" function ie the SyncArchive is useless when you use an encrypted remote, since you can never download those files back and you can't decrypt them neither. So, if you accidentally delete a file and it's propaged to your encrypted remote, time to say goodbye to your file...

The encrypted node implementation as it is can only address the throughput of your share i.e. the number of peers and their upload and download. 

The SyncArchive is never synced in any case. Backups should therefore be RO nodes, not ENC nodes, at least for the time being.