Failed to download PostDownload: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

djsuperstore

All the files affect on my system are <4mb after reading @GreatMarko 's FAQ on sync it seems that files smaller than 4mb are handled differently so I though I would see if that could also be a factor for narrowing down the issue. Can any one confirm that?

Yeah, I can confirm that I've not experienced this issue with file sizes >4MB. The files sizes I've encountered this will have been typically <200KB in size

Yup, small files. And I thought it was obvious that the problem was only with recently updated files, so thanks to Bejay_Waddell for saying it explicitly. I have a 12k .txt file of to do's, appointments, notes, etc., and it's almost always been the one to get caught in this error. On Windows, I edit it exclusively with emacs, if that's relevant. But I also edit it on Android. In fact, 99% of the time that I alter an existing file on my phone, it's this file. My remaining Android updates are mostly deletes or files added by the Windows clients, though I do make an appreciable number of .xlsx and .pdf file edits.

Thanks @JimmyTheSaint for also pointing out something I forgot to mention. The error occurs on the machines where the files were not edited\updated so on a peer to the original edit. Because there is a network layer (System independent) between the original edit\update and the instance of the problem I would deduce from that, that the problem is likely to be operating system independent. Which isn't new information really, We have learnt that from shared experience listed above.

What is new for me is the fact that my MS2008R2 server running this is not having a problem. which leads me to conclude the issue is related to the files being accessed by the receiving machine (Being cached for search accelerators or uploaded to SkyDrive or even just being interrogated by the system file browsed to cache thumbnails.) at the moment sync wants to delete and replace the file.

<Rambling>

I have encounter a very similar issue when attempting to delete a image from a photo album folder downloaded from my camera. I say delete and windows explorer says it can't because it is in use elsewhere, and I know that should not be true. I did some investigation and discovered windows explorer had the file open in a second thread while it generated thumb nail images for the whole open folder.

</Rambling>

What is new for me is the fact that my MS2008R2 server running this is not having a problem. which leads me to conclude the issue is related to the files being accessed by the receiving machine (Being cached for search accelerators or uploaded to SkyDrive or even just being interrogated by the system file browsed to cache thumbnails.) at the moment sync wants to delete and replace the file.

But the file's supposed to get locked out of syncing while it's in use, and then sync once it's free, right? That's the normal behavior, where the newest one eventually displaces the older ones. For example, when I have a file open in Excel or Word and I save, the other clients don't sync the saved version until I close the file. But in the case of the PostDownload error, sync just gets stuck until you manually fix it on the affected clients.

I've also noticed that sync computers running is read only mode are leaving files when the master computer has removed them.

Both computers are connected with OpenVPN and I'm using WinMerge to check the folders are identical

http://winmerge.org/

Once I have compared the folders, winmerge (from the view menu) shows a list of

"Different Items"

"Left Unique Iteme"

"Right Unique Items"

"Skipped Items"

As I'd expect we see .SyncID & .SyncIgnore are different, however I get a list of files that are unique to the computer that is in read only sync mode. If I manually delete them then sync brings them back but with a zero file length as the file doesn't exists on the main computer.

If I stop sync on both computers, then delete the files and start sync up again the problem goes away.

I also noticed that sync is clever, if you move a file from one folder to another and rather than delete it and re transfer. If simply moves it aswell.

I don't know but I think the files I am having problems with are ones that are being moved. I will check next time the error occurs.

Yes I can confirm

Folder Containing a file of 307 bytes

c:\Customer Mail Order\New\M-1-18764.dat

Correctly Snyced With Remote Computer

If I move the file to

c:\Customer Mail Order\Completed\M-1-18764.dat

Sync see's the new file and transfers it, however on the remote computer the original file c:\Customer Mail Order\New\M-1-18764.dat is not removed

• 1 month later...