Btsync Without Using Any Bittorrent Services

frater

To do the magic with the keys out still needs servers from bittorrent.

Of course we trust you, but....

For some applications I would like to use btsync where I want to control all the communication.

What software do I need to run on my server to do the stuff that's now being done by bittorrent?

Cheers

Windows does, Android and iOS do not (yet).

*thinking out loud hypothetical situation* If you were connecting to a sync that relied on manual IP relays and you tried to sync on Android/iOS (and you were on an IP that was whitelisted) would it work? Or do the mobile apps exclusively use DHT and UPNP?

• 1 month later...

*thinking out loud hypothetical situation* If you were connecting to a sync that relied on manual IP relays and you tried to sync on Android/iOS (and you were on an IP that was whitelisted) would it work? Or do the mobile apps exclusively use DHT and UPNP?

UPNP has nothing to do with peer exchange. It is a miserable system to manage port forwarding with NATs.

I would think DHT and local peer exchange is less suitable for mobile devices. DHT is supposed to be broadcasted to every 15 minutes, local peer exchange every 5 minutes. I wouldn't want my mobile device to waste cycles on sending out that info that often. Besides I would rather have the phone connect to the peers than the other way around (bandwidth saving).

If you have the IP of at least one node then it can be used, so there is no need for the tracker for 5 people. If you could add the IP of one node to the iPhone/android app then it would work. I would find it usefull if I could specify a list of prioritized peers for my phone, most likley it will be able to saturate its internet connection by just connecting to my VPS or my fileserver. Using bandwidth on probing other peers is pointless.

• 3 weeks later...

Disable relay and tracker and enable predefined hosts per share.

Just to make sure I understand. If I make this configuration change, does that mean BTSync will no longer transfer the files through the internet (consuming my monthly bandwidth allowance) and will be able to keep all the transfers local within my wireless network? I don't need to sync with devices outside my house so if BTSync can work completely within my local network, that would be ideal.

If I make this configuration change, does that mean BTSync will no longer transfer the files through the internet

In theory (I am not developing the software, therefore take no responsibility if it does not work) + disable DHT.

You should also disable UPnP, as you do not need to poke holes into your router's FW any longer, as  well as setting each BTsync's node port as static so that you predefined list of hosts works.