Mac To Pc Sync - Valid File Names On Mac, Illegal On Pc Fails

lvdata

I am trying to set up a syc from a MAC server to a PC. On the mac side there are many names that fine for Mac users such as "File | Name", "File.lpt1" or the most common "File Name " with a trailing space. These files do NOT sync to the PC, but also there is no simple error message stating that the files can not be synced, either on the Mac or PC. Dropping illegal portions of the file name are ok on a read-only sync. On a bi-directional read-write sync there needs to be either file name update on the Mac side (ok) or a list of files on the PC that can't be synced(better).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename for more info.

Can this be added/changed?

Thanks

LvData

I wrote a bash script to rename these folders and files. I can't really publish it because the system I wrote it on (a QNAP NAS) has an improper "sed" and therefore I had to do a bit of ugly coding

Cheers

Slashes are a thing too. It's more an Apple problem. They now have embraced the SMB protocol for file-sharing (afp is deprecated) and that doesn't support that much as Apple does on their filesystem

Cheers