Hi people, I'm Diego, work on Conexia and I love Sync!

I'm here to talk about the use of bysync to copy the back ups (and other stuff) from a lot of client to a central server where the files goto a tape.

At this moment, I have 5 CentOS clients sending files to a Windows 2008 R2. 

All the btsyncs apps are working as a service.

All the CentOS have one shared folder (all by config file)

Windows only have RO Secrets (configured by the GUI)

Additionally, i formatted the volume for the shared folders into 64K to reduce the IO.

Please, let me know what you think and how to get it better.

Saludos,

Diego

You might want to change the default 30 days synchistory to a higher value

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hi, are you talking about the sync_trash_ttl?

It's relative to your storage capacity, in my case i reduce it to a 10 to see the space used ratio.

Additionally, i formatted the volume for the shared folders into 64K to reduce the IO.

I would suggest that if you're looking to reduce disk I/O that you increase the advanced Sync settings "recv_buf_size" and "send_buf_size" from their defaults of 5 (MB) to something higher. This will increase the memory usage of Sync, but will mean that more data is "buffered" in memory, leading to a reduced frequency of disk access.

If you're only using Sync to "backup" files that change infrequently, you could also further reduce disk access by increasing the value of the "folder_rescan_internal" setting from the default of 600 seconds.

Finally, if you're looking to improve transfer speed, and all your devices reside on the same LAN, you could set "lan_encrypt_data" to "false" (default is true)

I would suggest that if you're looking to reduce disk I/O that you increase the advanced Sync settings "recv_buf_size" and "send_buf_size" from their defaults of 5 (MB) to something higher. This will increase the memory usage of Sync, but will mean that more data is "buffered" in memory, leading to a reduced frequency of disk access.

Interesting! I don't know if apply to my; but i test this in one of media center server (in my case, i have ~400 clients and 4 media center with the backup robots)

If you're only using Sync to "backup" files that change infrequently, you could also further reduce disk access by increasing the value of the "folder_rescan_internal" setting from the default of 600 seconds.

Yes, of course, an increment to 1800 (half hour) it's ok.

Finally, if you're looking to improve transfer speed, and all your devices reside on the same LAN, you could set "lan_encrypt_data" to "false" (default is true)

Excelent tip, i need to set up this on both ends (client and server)?